Radiator help how many cores?

Status
Not open for further replies.

78Delta88

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
May 23, 2022
SW Arizona
I'm thinking you can find an original brass radiator somewhere in America however, It will pose to be quite difficult due to aluminum radiators have all but replaced brass ones AND all the old guys who had radiator shops back in the day when brass ones were the norm are either out of business or dead. There must be places for radiators like Cooker tire who specialize in old style tires for radiators.
Yep. On your radiator you might have to go with aluminum and plastic tanks to keep car running. Wash it out with diesel or B12, stop any future corrosion. Pack what you have real good in mean time until you can find replacement . The cores are around, but the side tanks will be very very difficult to find.

On the tank you will see the solder line. Back when I started we used a shop in Downers Grove, owner was a very nice older black fellow..., always had beers and stories. Told me he started back in depression days when he was a kid.

Process is simple... Heat the radiator and solder melts, tanks come off. He stocked all the common size cores, plus he made custom when needed. Once you get the tanks off clean up make sure tank thickness is still good, resolder to the new core. Pressure to 15psi in a water tank, check for bubbles and when good, clean, dry and paint.

Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
I'm thinking you can find an original brass radiator somewhere in America however, It will pose to be quite difficult due to aluminum radiators have all but replaced brass ones AND all the old guys who had radiator shops back in the day when brass ones were the norm are either out of business or dead. There must be places for radiators like Cooker tire who specialize in old style tires for radiators.
Summit advertised brass/copper radiators, not sure if they carry ones for a base V6.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Why do you want a brass,copper radiator?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Reactions: 1 user

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Good thought & Idea. i will look into it.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Summit advertised brass/copper radiators, not sure if they carry ones for a base V6.
Yep. I looked on there but out of budget price range. I'm kinda at $150 max.

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Why do you want a brass,copper radiator?
it's pretty much an all original car, i don't wanna ruin with it Aluminum just because it's rEaDiLY available. lol. hardcore GM Purist here.

Reactions: 2 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Ruin is a tough word. But I do understand ‘original’ .

Find a radiator repair shop to either repair or replace the core. Money will solve all issues (no kidding)

Reactions: 3 users

CrammerGram69

Master Mechanic
Nov 15, 2019
SW, Michigan
Gonna try that. If not ask around for me. I need some good used ones for core.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor