Joono

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2009
Haynes or Chilton?

Uncletruck

Master Mechanic
Apr 22, 2007
Erie, PA
Given the choice of those two, Chilton. The best? GM manuals. Tons available on E-Bay for the G body vintage. I have a '78 Lemans and got the '78 Oldsmobile Chassis service manual and the '78 Fisher body manual for around $30 for the pair, and have not looked at an aftermarket book since, they just don't compare when you really need to get the work done right.

-UT-

StreetDogg316

Apprentice
Jan 14, 2009
Prince George, VA
Chilton all the way. I just bought a Chilton Professional series book for all domestic(American) cars between 1971-1978 for $12 off eBay. The guy said it covers my 78 Regal, And Chevy engines. It also covers Chassis, Suspension, Electrical Etc. Not a bad buy for $12 I guess. But yeah, Nothing beats a Factory Service Manual, They are specifically for your vehicle, And basically tell you where every nut and bolt is and how to take it off and put it back.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
if you have experience working on cars, definately go with the chiltons. if you have very little experience, go with the haynes as it explains more stuff and breaks things down better for the novice.

Joono

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks a bunch.

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I have Haynes, Chilton, and GM FSM's and I only use the GM manuals. The level of detail is superb and I got mine cheap on E-Bay. Once you have a set, nothing else will do. Now I buy FSM's for every car I have. The one for my 1998 Nissan was less than $20 (used, but good) and has gotten me out of more than one jam!

srercrcr

G-Body Guru
Jun 19, 2006
San Antonio, Texas
I have a Chiltons and a FSM. I usually start with the Chiltons unless I know I need to get deep in the subject. Chiltons is good for refreshing your memory of the procedure. Buy used.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor