Rear Air Lift bag install on El Camino

Status
Not open for further replies.

roger1

G-Body Guru
Aug 23, 2010
San Angelo, TX
My '83 has right about 78K original miles on it and I've owned it for 24 years. Always have had air shocks on it and never really liked them. Decided to do something different. I did a thorough inspection and all the original bushings in the rear look good. The car was perfectly level with the old air shocks disconnected and bags not installed yet so that told me the rear springs were still in fine shape too.

I decided to go with a set of Air Ride 1000 bags and the monotube KYB Gas-A-Just shocks. The Gas-A-Just are the cheapest route for a true monotube design and I was a little skeptical that they could be very good but they seem to have a pretty good reputation.

After installing the new shocks and bags yesterday, I found that even with the minimum 5 psi in the bags, the car raised up 3/4" at the wheel opening. Going to the maximum 35 psi, the rear raised an additional 1.5".

I took a test drive with 5 psi in the bags. It sure seems a lot different than with the old air shocks. It feels a lot tighter with a more firm (but not harsh) ride. Cornering and squat and dive are much improved too. Much less body roll and much less of a mushy feel.

I don't know if there is any kind of "break-in" with the bags or not but I would think not. I can't see wanting to run more than the 5 psi unless I put a load in the bed. The 3/4" higher in the rear than front looks great and I'm happy with the feel.
Everything is stock up front and I'm just using old Monroe shocks. I will be upgrading to a monotube shock up there soon. Maybe I'll the go with the Gas-A-Just there as well.

IMG_39591.JPG

IMG_39581.JPG

IMG_39642.JPG

Yup. Just single exhaust. I just last night ordered a set of Hedman 66609 headers and a Pypes X-pipe header back kit.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I was going to try a set of those bags in my GP but I have the rear springs I am using have a smaller diameter so the bags won't fit.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
thought about buying some lowering spring for my wagon and if it drops it to much i plan on doing those bags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor