Rear body mount stripped?

Status
Not open for further replies.

E84MC

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2019
So my second to last rear driver side body mount is stripped (the one right behind the tire), it’s not just loose wiggling around but barely tightens up. I’ve seen online a couple ways of fixing this but I am not a welder. My question is if all my other mounts torque to spec (like they do) will I be ok with leaving that one as is since the one behind and in front this one are good? Only planing for 400rwhp max.

E84MC

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2019
Not like it’s not been done before, one on my El Camino had to have had a broken bolt for years. All depends on plans of what you are going to do with the car. It adds a “weak “ spot putting more stress to the other mounts. As a daily you’ll probably never notice it unless it squeaks or rattles. If you do more stressful driving, twisty’s and such, you’ll want to keep an eye on it like when you do oil changes. And put it on a need to fix item.
Yeah just building a nice street car driven on weekends only with 400rwhp max, pulls here and there.

Reactions: 1 user

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
There should be a simple in top of the trunk floor right above the body mount bolt. Another easy method is to cut a 1" hole as mentioned, put a little longer bolt in and just use a regular nut on top of the large captured nit that is in the body. Then let was said put a rubber plug in it

E84MC

Apprentice
Jan 10, 2019
There should be a simple in top of the trunk floor right above the body mount bolt. Another easy method is to cut a 1" hole as mentioned, put a little longer bolt in and just use a regular nut on top of the large captured nit that is in the body. Then let was said put a rubber plug in it
I understand
Im not sure what you meant with your first sentence? But yes putting a nut on top of the stripped out one doesn’t seem to hard to do and I would rather know that all 10 mounts are torqued to spec and good, thanks.

• Agree

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Sorry I meant to say dimple in the trunk floor ( pointed up) if there is no dimple take a longer bolt that needed and tighten it up till it hits the floor so you know where to drill got any questions just ask

• Winner
Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
  • Agree

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
Sorry you could take a punch and go up through the hole to make locating dimple or a screwdriver, long skinny bolt smaller diameter than the current bolt. Just remember the body bolt is metric

mc1984ss

Master Mechanic
May 18, 2020
If it's stripped try to get a prybar or something under the head of the bolt to help "pull" it out as you are loosening it. Another possibility of it is just spinning is the the bolt is stuck in the nut but the "cage" that holds the nut tore so it could be spinning

• Agree

Drkuhar

G-Body Guru
Sep 27, 2018
Girard, IL
Here is where the hole get drilled. I used a 2 1/2" hole saw. And put body plugs in them when done. The drivers side had a dome up that was centered right over the bolt. I drilled a small hole on the passenger side and probed around and found where the bolt was and drilled over it. These are the number six positions (behind the wheels) on both sides.
I used such a big hole to get the damaged cage nut out and used large washers and a nut on the new bolts
20211031_151445.jpg
20211031_151417.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
the the bolt is stuck in the nut but the "cage" that holds the nut tore so it could be spinning

This. ^^^^ Is most likely the case.

• Agree
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor