rear brake shoes and drum questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
is the brake shoes and drums the same on both the 85 elky and monte ss. i know the monte has 15'' rims and the elky has 14'' but i was thinking the brakes and drums are the same..is this true..

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
They will interchange, but there is a possible oddity. Some cars of the era with the 7.5 axle had aluminum brake drums instead of cast Iron. You can replace one with the other though as they are the same internal diameter.

hddave1

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 14, 2008
yea i found out that they were the same..i found a rearend from a guy thats in my area from a monte ss ..he told me it was a 3.42 but turns out it was a 3.73..lol..lucky me..anyway i took the drums off and tryed them on the elky and they were exactly the same..now i need to find a transmission so i can use this 3.73 ...

Sep 1, 2006
Tampa Bay Area
I would just look for a Th200 4R. They are pretty common in a number of B,C and G bodies throughout the 1980's. The best, of course, came in the performance models and are the ones to look for. However, a standard model will also work just fine if you don't need ultimate strength, and don't mind a WOT upshift of only 3,000 RPM's. The better ones had an upshift of 4500-5,000 RPM, plus a number of improvements to the valve body, among other things. You can tell what trans you have with the code on the tin tag located on the tailshaft on the passenger's side of the car. You will also need the TV cable, dipstick and tube, trans crossmember, and trans mount from a overdrive G body to install it in your car/truck. That's how I did mine when I did the V6 to 350 swap years ago and it has worked out ok. However, I am currently trying to find one from a MCSS, Turbo Regal or 442/HO as I have issues with mine, and hate the low upshift point. I wind up shifting it manually (on the column!) when I want to go fast. Oh, and like the other GM OD, newer models are better than older ones for durability. Avoid ones found in Cadillacs as they have very soft shifts, and tend to live a hard life with all that weight. Remember that firmer shifts make a trans last longer (to a point) because the clutches slip less.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor