Rear end options

Status
Not open for further replies.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I know i am beating a dead horse.... But i came across a 8.5 rear out of 9c1 cop car that has disc brakes for a good price. I know that they are not a direct bolt in but after losing a 8.5 out of a Hurst old and finding a 8.5 out of a GN for $1200 i am just looking for alternatives... i Currently have a open 7.625 out of a 87 SS with 3.73 gears so i know that it wont last long after i build my motor up. So the questions are... Can i use this rearend? what mods can i do to make it fit? I found some info on a site maliburacing.com but i want to get a more definite answer. Also the i found some info on Fords 8.8 rears. Anybody else has any of these rears? I do have access to a machinist and a welder. I know the bolt patterns will need to be changed out to fit the current bolt pattern ,driveshaft length and different backspacing on the wheels also. Can the housing tubes be shortened along with the axles? I know there are companies out there that make rearends to fit but i cannot afford them at this time. Or should i just build up my rear? I know the posi out of a F-body and some 28 spline axles would be a good upgrade to it. What about other 7.5 posi units? i wouldn't mind buying axles if thats all i need. What year F-bodys should i look for?? I don't drag race but i love doin burnouts and hauling *ss. :lol:
Thanks in advance for any info

i believe i read on here that the desired posi is out of a ls1 powered f body and gn axles. if you search you should find the write up where the guy put a 8.8 ford rear in his car. My roommate is a ford nut and a scrapper so that is the option i will probably be taking. there is a disc brake rear out of a 95 mustang sitting in the garage right now

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor