Rear End Swap, which ones work?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doober said:
You can swap just about any factory 4-link GM rear in (A-Body, B-Body), even a 9" or 8.8", but there are some geometry issues with the 8.8"... aftermarket companies make bolt-in 9" rears.
Are the geometry issues just in the upper control arms?

the only difference in the older Abody "70-72 monte cutlassetc is about 2 1/2 inches wider and for the ppl that want BIG tires its a good way to get some really needed clearance ^^

its what i did just got to make sure you put new bushings in too it makes it even better (still gotta do that :( )
also want some extra lift in the back? use the 70-72 montes cutlass etc rear springs :bump:

espacef1fan said:
Doober said:
You can swap just about any factory 4-link GM rear in (A-Body, B-Body), even a 9" or 8.8", but there are some geometry issues with the 8.8"... aftermarket companies make bolt-in 9" rears.
Are the geometry issues just in the upper control arms?
For the 8.8" I believe there is something about geometry issues, they typically use spherical ends to take care of this, I think the main thing with 8.8 is where it puts the instant center (quite a bit of math/measuring, I haven't really looked into it yet).
http://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index ... c=104354.0

2.14 rearend? that thing must be a real slug, i thought my 2.56s were bad.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor