rear end??

Status
Not open for further replies.
FE3X CLONE said:
If you've never changed gears then I wouldn't attempt it on a daily driver/sole transporation type car.

The GN rear would be an 8.5" with 3.42 gears. A 442 or '84 H/O rear would also be an 8.5" with 3.73 gears. Personally I would rather have the 442 or H/O rear for the steeper gear ratio. However really both would be overkill for a pretty mild 350.
The Monte SS rear axle wouldn't be much of an upgrade beyond the better gear ratio. They still only had the 7.5"/7.625" rear.

If you do go with an 8.5" you will need to shorten your driveshaft by .99".

What gear ratio do you have in the Cutlass now?

I tried finding the axle code but I don't see anything and I don't know exactly where to look, im looking at the passenger side but don't see anything but its kinda dirty too so that may explain why I don't see anything lol

another way of checking is mark one wheel then turn it ,and count how many times the pinion turns till your mark ends up in the same spot .it will give u a idea of what gears you have in there

cdg1984 said:
Do you have the booklet that came with the car? If so, the info is in there.

Yeah I do, this car belonged to a little old lady before it was mine so it came with all the booklets lol

build sheet would have it to look under the seats for it might be there
Jeezycol said:
cdg1984 said:

Yeah I do, this car belonged to a little old lady before it was mine so it came with all the booklets lol

nycutlass said:
build sheet would have it to look under the seats for it might be there
Jeezycol said:
cdg1984 said:

I tried looking for it but i cant find it

sucks .i found some in door panels to

FE3X CLONE said:
If you've never changed gears then I wouldn't attempt it on a daily driver/sole transporation type car.

The GN rear would be an 8.5" with 3.42 gears. A 442 or '84 H/O rear would also be an 8.5" with 3.73 gears. Personally I would rather have the 442 or H/O rear for the steeper gear ratio. However really both would be overkill for a pretty mild 350.
The Monte SS rear axle wouldn't be much of an upgrade beyond the better gear ratio. They still only had the 7.5"/7.625" rear.

If you do go with an 8.5" you will need to shorten your driveshaft by .99".

What gear ratio do you have in the Cutlass now?

What gear ratio would give good acceleration for 1/4 mile track as well as a higher top end speed? I have a 87 cutlass supreme that im swapin a 350 chevy into.

3.23 gear ratio, but if you have the series 2 carrier than go with a 3.08 if cost is a concern. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but the series 2 carrier that most g-bodies came with can only have up to a 3.08 gear, while any numerically higher gear ratio requires the series 3 carrier.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor