Rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 10, 2018
Question
My rear left tire is leaning inward on my 79 cutlass supreme. Any idea what might be the issue ?? I was thinking maybe ball joints or control arms but again not too sure on an older vehicle. Any idea is much appreciated,.
Thank you.

bob64

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2017
Niagara Falls, Canada
It's a straight axle, so if it's leaning inwards it's a bent axle, or it may have been shim's in it that rust out.

Either way stop jumping over bridges! Lol

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Minion

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 10, 2018
It's a straight axle, so if it's leaning inwards it's a bent axle, or it may have been shim's in it that rust out.

Either way stop jumping over bridges! Lol

Lol my city is full of potholes that’ll break your heart when going in one. On average about how much am I looking at to get it replaced

Mike Geepers

Apprentice
Feb 1, 2018
Cen-Cal
Lol my city is full of potholes that’ll break your heart when going in one. On average about how much am I looking at to get it replaced
A hundred or two at your local junk yard if want a replacement differential. 6 to 8 if you want something more, "sporty".

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
800-1500 for a used GN rear end, if you can find one. I wouldn't put any money into a 7.5 other than as a replacement so the car will roll.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
The axles are pretty strong. It could be a bent wheel. Swap wheels from side to side and see if the bend goes with the wheel. If not, then jack up the rear, remove the wheel, install a dial indicator on the axle flange and spin the axle . A bent axle will be pretty obvious.

Reactions: 1 user

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
if it is a bent axle if your wheel is leaning in turn the wheel 180 and it should be leaning out and if it was bent that bad you'd feel it driving. Are you sure it in not an optical illusion?. Get a big right angle so you can see if the wheel is really leaning.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Several action photos would help.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor