Rear end

Status
Not open for further replies.

79_cutty

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 27, 2020
Will a 8.5 bolt in to replace a 7.5 rear end im trying to plan out my next move. Also if so what car can I pull a 8.5 rear end out off? I’m trying to be able to do some burnouts here and there and maybe a few donuts once a year haha anyways thanks in advance I’m going to be askin a bunch of beginner questions

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Late 442's and all GN's had 8.5's that are direct bolt in's. After that, there is nothing bolts in without modifications.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

doood

Amateur Mechanic
Sep 24, 2020
What's the best non-Ferd option over the 8.5? Anybody remake old 68-77 A-body rears to fit g-bodies? Did last gen B-bodies have 8.5?

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
What's the best non-Ferd option over the 8.5? Anybody remake old 68-77 A-body rears to fit g-bodies? Did last gen B-bodies have 8.5?
There are bolt in aftermarket 12 bolts rears, Currie, Moser and Strange are a few vendors but plan on paying more than the 9" would cost.

Reactions: 1 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
It sucks that all of the options for something more durable require either a bunch of money or fabrication skills and tools that most don't have.

On a positive note, there is a cheaper option - run what you brung and fix it when it breaks. A 7.5" 10 bolt will live through 100K+ miles of daily driving and a fair amount of spirited driving if it's in good condition and setup properly as long as no sticky tires. Basic tools needed that can be used for many other jobs, and some patience.

Reactions: 2 users

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
My Solution - I called Currie and got a ford nine inch with stock mounts, and axles chevy bolt pattern 5x120mm and 70mm diameter wheel hub basically ALL the stock dimensions except I asked to have it 4 inches wider track overall.
The wider track gives the Monte '86 Luxury Sport LS a much better handling and less body roll, and the hotchkis for the upgrade connecting arms and quickperformance for a nice nodular 9 inch prebuilt.
Cost at the time was $2500 and took 1/2 a day on Saturday - you can either put your drum brakes on - everything just bolted back in place. I later put the Wilwood disc brakes on the rear with factory e-brake set up.

• Winner
Reactions: 3 users

Dixie Restoration Depot

Greasemonkey
GBodyForum Sponsor
Oct 24, 2016
Manchester, CT
I like my Foxbody 8.8 with Trick Chassis arms, I got 5x4.75 axles and it's pretty darn bolt in aside from having to weld spring perches onto it. I'm in it for less than a 1000 bucks too.

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

Zippymac

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 18, 2021
Dripping Springs Tx
My Solution - I called Currie and got a ford nine inch with stock mounts, and axles chevy bolt pattern 5x120mm and 70mm diameter wheel hub basically ALL the stock dimensions except I asked to have it 4 inches wider track overall.
The wider track gives the Monte '86 Luxury Sport LS a much better handling and less body roll, and the hotchkis for the upgrade connecting arms and quickperformance for a nice nodular 9 inch prebuilt.
Cost at the time was $2500 and took 1/2 a day on Saturday - you can either put your drum brakes on - everything just bolted back in place. I later put the Wilwood disc brakes on the rear with factory e-brake set up.
As an aside I got a whole unit from quickperformance they have 8.8 and 12 bolts if you want to keep it GM

• Winner
Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor