rear ends

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeasty03

n00b
Aug 24, 2010
enterprise oklahoma
yea i have a 1980 2dr malibu classic and it has a rear end out of a 1980 malibu wagon. i am wondering what the gear ratio is in it because i want to put a mini spool in it. and also i was wondering how to get the cross pin out of it. and i wondering if i put the mini spool in it if it will hold up to the motor and transmission i have in it. it has a 350 bored .030 over with a set of 74lt1 heads that are done up to 202/160 valves with screw in rocker studs and high lift springs with a .520 lift cam and a holley 750 spread bore manual secondary, the transmission is a th350 with a stage 3 shift kit full manual valve bodied and a 10in tci 2500 stall converter in it. it shifts pretty hard and when i shift it it will bark the rear tires. so im wondering if the mini spool will be a little much for the stock rear end. i have snapped the pinion in one rear end and it was out of a 86 cutlass. any help will be great. thanks :?:

I'd imagine it'd be something like a 2.29 or 2.41? Nothing special. As for the cross pin you should just be able to knock it out with a brass punch. The 7.5" rear should hold up to your motor as long as you don't launch at every light. :mrgreen:

how about when turning a corner? i heard that the mini spool could break the axels when turning a sharp corner. i cruse the car alot and where i live we have burn out contests and i take it too them alot. thats kinda why i want to put the spool in it. if i cant figure out what to do im going to put a ford 9" under it so i can change gears easy. lol. we use a floater under our dirt car and id love to have one to put in my car because you dont have to pull the tires off to change gears and if you break and axel the wheel wont fly off.

If it's just casual cruisin the spool will be fine on the street. Now if you want to take corners fast, the spool isn't for you. If you want durabilty and functinality you could get a posi 8.5" out of a Grand National, a ford 9 inch, or a GM 12 bolt. These are all much more expensive than a $90 mini spool but are worth the money if you are gonna use them. Once again, if you're just crusin', the 7.5" with a mini spool will be strong enough

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor