Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
900 foot pounds.

Ok, maybe not.

Technically, there isn't an actual torque spec that you simply crunch it down to. If you're going to be replacing the seal, you'll have to follow the procedure of measuring running torque on the bearings and get that in spec. It's a bit more involved than just grinking down the pinion nut and calling it a day. Getting that thing back exactly like it's supposed to be without further crunching the crush sleeve, or not getting it tight enough just exactly right can put your ring/pinion clearances out of whack and you'll have some singing gears going down the highway and some unwanted wear down the road. If you've never done this before, you may want to enlist the help of a good friend to knows how to setup rear ends. YOU DO NOT WANT TO FUGG THIS UP.

Could you get by where you mark the pinion nut on the pinion stem and nut, then break it loose and count the number of turns to remove, then count the exact number of turns and match up the match marks and get it close? I've known people who have done this and got by with it. I don't personally recommend shooting in the dark like that, but it can be done. If you're still not sure what you're doing, just farm that job out to a GOOD rear end guy. Pay him whatever he wants to do it, it's worth it. May want to redo the axle end seals while you're back there.

Pinion seal- GM p/n 552571, or 26026792

Axle seals- GM p/n 554631 (need 2)

Reactions: 1 users

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
The one I use is 150 ft lbs. Right or wrong, it seems to be enough to tighten it and get sufficient preload on the bearings without crushing the sleeve anymore. I have been replacing my crush sleeves with a pinion spacer and shims to make ease of install on new builds

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Rt Jam

G-Body Guru
Mar 30, 2020
Ontario Canada
69hurst is well versed on this procedure.

There is NO torque spec for that nut. To do it properly it ALL needs to come apart.
The fact is nobody is taking that all apart to replace a seal.

Mark the nut accurately. Remove, replace seal, reinstall nut to THE mark and add a tiny bit more, like another 2 degrees. Any less will garantee not enough pinion bearing preload.

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
Yes, for the 7.5".

Supercharged111

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 25, 2019
Colorado Springs, CO
69hurst is well versed on this procedure.

There is NO torque spec for that nut. To do it properly it ALL needs to come apart.
The fact is nobody is taking that all apart to replace a seal.

Mark the nut accurately. Remove, replace seal, reinstall nut to THE mark and add a tiny bit more, like another 2 degrees. Any less will garantee not enough pinion bearing preload.

I used the 3 dot method myself.

IMG_20200226_172853.jpg

Didn't add any though. Still no issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor