Rebuild

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2006
hamden ct.
OOOH.....OOOOOOOOOOOOH!! ......OK,if youve never built an olds get ready to spend considerably more $$$.
first off , you cant get dome pistons for an olds(unless custom) however, the speed pro piston # you want is 2320. these are the pistons used in the W-31 engines. summit sells the kit for around 500-600 bucks(this is the whole low end kit w/moly rings). being true flat tops ,on an engine with stock heads they have about 10.5-1 compression.
Also (in case you dont know) olds small block heads dont flow for sh#t unless you have #5 heads with the 2.00/1.60 valves wich is probably not likely so consider buying heads . OH, then theres this( also in case your not aware) you can ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go over .500 lift as to there is no adjustability to the valve train using stock rockers sokeep the lift under 500 or spring for roller rockers( you can use adj. push rods but I.M.O. dont.)

also, olds have kind of an oiling problem but theres a bunch of stuff that u can do for that.....if you want to know, make another post because that kind of info deserves it.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA
steve 86 said:
OOOH.....OOOOOOOOOOOOH!! ......OK,if youve never built an olds get ready to spend considerably more $$$.

No, you won't find Olds parts as easy to locate or as cheap as SBC parts, however, I think it's a lot more satisfying to build an Olds.

first off , you cant get dome pistons for an olds(unless custom) however, the speed pro piston # you want is 2320. these are the pistons used in the W-31 engines. summit sells the kit for around 500-600 bucks(this is the whole low end kit w/moly rings). being true flat tops ,on an engine with stock heads they have about 10.5-1 compression.

First of all, vendors don't build domed pistons for Olds motors because the engine isn't designed for them and doesn't need them. Olds motors are designed to use a dished piston with a smaller combustion chamber, which results in the same compression ratio without the dome that disturbs combustion. The most efficient combustion chamber design is a sphere. Domed pistons are bandaids for the most part. Note that newer high performance motors like the LS series don't use domed pistons either.

Yes, W-31s used flattop pistons for a 10.5:1 combustion ratio. Other 350s use a small dish and get 10.25:1.

Also (in case you dont know) olds small block heads dont flow for sh#t unless you have #5 heads with the 2.00/1.60 valves wich is probably not likely so consider buying heads . OH, then theres this( also in case your not aware) you can ABSOLUTLY NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!! go over .500 lift as to there is no adjustability to the valve train using stock rockers sokeep the lift under 500 or spring for roller rockers( you can use adj. push rods but I.M.O. dont.)

Actually, most 60s and early 70s vintage small block heads flow about the same at reasonable valve lifts. Any Olds small block head can be machined for the 2.00/1.63 valves - these are standard Olds big block valves (and the small ones at that). Many vendors sell adjustable roller rocker sets for the Olds motors; in fact, small block Ford 1.6:1 roller rockers are a bolt-in. If you need more flow, you can run the Edelbrock aluminum heads or the new Bulldog heads on your 350, but if you can really use that much airflow you should probably be starting with a diesel block instead (or a 455).

also, olds have kind of an oiling problem but theres a bunch of stuff that u can do for that.....if you want to know, make another post because that kind of info deserves it.

Actually, the Olds oiling system needs many of the same sort of things that any other performance engine needs. Get a good high vol pump, a HD oil pump drive, and a larger pan. Put restrictors in the lifter feed holes to help keep oil in the main galleries and thus in the main bearings. You can get restrictors for the cam bearings, but it's not clear that these help that much since the cam bearings are oiled after the mains.

Spend some time reviewing the FAQ at www.442.com for a lot more info. Dick Miller and Joe Mondello are the two best known Olds engine builders and parts suppliers.

mrapii

Greasemonkey
Jan 5, 2006
Waipahu, HI
Hmmmm....seems to be a differnece of opinion about performance Olds smallblock engines. Glad I never fooled around with those engines; CHEVY MOUSE MOTORS RULE!!!!!!

steve 86

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 23, 2006
hamden ct.
so are u disputing that those pistons arethe best option for performance, cuz everywhere i read they say those are the best ones........ did i not say that " unless you already had the bigger valves...... uh..and no take a good look at a set of #7 heads and tell me those flow.....like i said above #5 is alright and maybe #6..ok.......the point i was trying to make is that many stock chevy heads flow better than almost any olds....look at flow #s they dont lie....and although yes the oiling issues are standard protocol for high performance, you can build a sbc alot further without worrying about it.....

make a 400 horse olds small on stock castings,and valve train and ill bet you i can build a sbc for considerably less under the same conditions,

this is all im trying to say, you shouldnt , flame my comments. if you noticed i keep saying in my OPINION, hey, im not disputing the facts that u put up, im just saying olds cost more to build. I built my olds and hey i love it ,overwelming low-mid torque its just that ive built sbc that cost 1k or more , less.....I get the feeling if u ask most guys on the forum they can make a screamming chevy for cheap. probably not so for olds.

P.S. mrapii......i hear you...i knew what i was getting into when i built the olds....i didnt want to do it but i have alot of olds guys for friends and they broke my balls saying "dont bastardise the f#@%ing thing, your an a#@hole" (wich this guy above probably already thinks)....but i wish i listened to my instincts and done a chevy :lol: :shock: :twisted: all at the same time....i need a drink!!

no hard feelings towards any one, seriously, this site is here to engage in conversation right??

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor