Recommended big block Chevy reading

Status
Not open for further replies.

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Planning splayed mains too
My 496 was a 2 bolt main and I bought Milidon nodular iron splayed caps and had them machined to fit.
My current engine uses a World products block with billet splayed caps and my new engine uses a Dart block also with billet splayed caps.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Unless it pretty much falls into my lap I'll be sticking with factory blocks. I'm actually hoping both 454s I get are factory 2 bolts

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Unless it pretty much falls into my lap I'll be sticking with factory blocks. I'm actually hoping both 454s I get are factory 2 bolts
The 2 bolts will be stronger and if you do the main cap conversion they will probably be stronger than you will need but it is nice to have the extra insurance.
My 496 held up great and I ran some Dart oval ports with a street roller back then.

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah after I get the second one built I'll go back and likely build the first one more serious. Looks like I may also be picking up an 86 Monte and it'd make a good motor for it

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Yeah after I get the second one built I'll go back and likely build the first one more serious. Looks like I may also be picking up an 86 Monte and it'd make a good motor for it
Big block Monte's totally suck, I think you should look for a different car.;)

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
I love starting with base model cars with weak engines just so I end up with a higher increase of HP over the stock motor. I believe the Monte I'm looking at has a 4.3

Bar50

Royal Smart Person
Jan 1, 2009
Tulsa, OK
There was a magazine series called 'Project Blue Collar 454'

2 bolt blocks are not weak.

Cast cranks take epic abuse.

Oval ports kill up to 6500 RPM.

Truck rods (thumb print) with good bolts will take as much as the block or crank.

The big block Chevy does not need a high volume oil pump.

-049 and -781 are the best flowing oval port heads. Epic with bigger valves.

Costs almost the same to build a 496 as 454.

A flat top 454 with 396 heads makes a great street 9 to 1 motor.

Look for 96-up roller cam motor and then score some Vortec 7400 (L29) heads.

I have some of the books mentioned above. Just depends on what you wanna build and a realistic budget.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor