red top

Status
Not open for further replies.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
yes decent price, if you can get the yellow top for the same price, would be the best bang for the buck...only time I see them cheaper is at the swap meets every year, you can get one for as low as $70

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
LSCustoms said:
yes decent price, if you can get the yellow top for the same price, would be the best bang for the buck...only time I see them cheaper is at the swap meets every year, you can get one for as low as $70

cool thanks bro, i think I might snatch it up then, Im highly skeptical of used batteries but if your saying 70 for a new one then I might have to wait till the next swap meet. i think the LB one just passed

I was looking at the yellow tops but at the price of the red they have much lower CCA and i want at least 700. The batt I have now doesnt spin my motor fast enough to get it to start.

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
richp85elco said:
LSCustoms said:

cool thanks bro, i think I might snatch it up then, Im highly skeptical of used batteries but if your saying 70 for a new one then I might have to wait till the next swap meet. i think the LB one just passed

I was looking at the yellow tops but at the price of the red they have much lower CCA and i want at least 700. The batt I have now doesnt spin my motor fast enough to get it to start.
the yellow has more than enough cca, but is the better option if you are running any decent electronics... and dont have much room for a second battery... I think I have a card to the Optima guy/booth I met at the pomona swap meet, and the 70 batteries carried the same warranty and were guaranteed...

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
the amount of problems I've had with optima's, you couldn't get me to take one even if it was free. worst battery I've ever had

Rocket

Greasemonkey
Oct 18, 2011
Reserve Mines, NS
i've had a few red tops that were absolute junk, not sure if it was a bad run of batteries or what but the last couple have been great and never had any issues with a yellow top

richp85elco

Master Mechanic
Feb 3, 2011
Long Beach, CA
ive heard that from alot of people, I was using a marine battery that works great and had more reserve than a yellow top but once my engine warmed up, it wouldnt have enough CA to turn the motor over fast enough because it was from my dads 4 cylinder inboard boat. I was looking to get a autozone one because you can just switch them for new ones whenever but they dont offer one with dual post in the right size. So its really my only other option for what i can afford at the moment

78MC-BBC

Master Mechanic
Jan 29, 2008
In both my 96 Tahoe daily driver and my 78 Monte i am running identical batteries and have had zero problems. The trick with advance is to buy it online to pick it up in store, use a discount code and get the battery for dirt cheap with a big warranty. The Tahoe battery fits in the stock Monte Carlo battery tray, has top and side posts.

The batteries i have are 800cca/600ca with a 5 year warranty, listed for $107.99 but i had a discount code for $30 off a purchase over $100. so in all i paid $77.99

LSCustoms

Royal Smart Person
Jul 17, 2011
I have never had an issue with any of my Optimas, be it a red top or a yellow, If I wasnt running dual batteries, then I would get the yellow top, because it is designed for dual purpose. if I was running dual, I would get one red and one yellow...

I have and currently also use Odyssey which may be more expensive, i use it on my harley... zero issues since 2008 when I bought my bike brand new (and its high compression motor)... I have ran Ody in cars too and in my opinion were a better battery for the size...

Shouldnt have an issue with the right optima, and if you do within a year take it back and get a new one...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor