Redoing Front Suspension

Status
Not open for further replies.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
Right now I am in the middle of completely redoing all of my front suspension. My question for this job deals with buying replacement parts... On ebay I see several multi-part items that sell just about everything I need and there are several to choose from... Here are a couple of the links to the items

http://www.ebay.com/itm/78-87-Dag-Cente ... fb&vxp=mtr

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Monte-Carlo-Fro ... be&vxp=mtr

I'm curious about if I should only by kits that have the grease fitting for a grease gun attachment or if that even makes a difference. I want to buy something that will last because I just got my ls1 running good in my car and I want it to be safe and sound while driving it.

MrHernandez

G-Body Guru
May 25, 2009
Jackson,TN
Whichever you choose to use do a thread on it. I'm thinking of doing the same to my 78 camino. If it were me I'd go with Rusty's kit, more complete and greaseable. Good luck!

Jshock

Apprentice
Jan 12, 2013
Port Orchard, WA
Personal opinion: grease able is always better. Non grease able joints have te be replaced should the boot ever rip because you can't really add grease to keep the joint alive. However a grease able joint say the boot should rip open you can add grease still, and even push out the road grit that would accumulate and stick there by pushin out the old with the new ya know? That and I've never been a fan of non-grease able joints...

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
The second kit you have listed is the one I would use as well, although I personally would not buy a "kit" like that, most of the time the part quality in the kits is not very good. Moog Problem solver parts were always the best choice when I was still working in the garage, and they make everything in that kit, and it probably wouldn't be much more individually, check Rock Auto, I order everything from them, and like the above post says greaseable is the way to go, "lube-for-life" is a nice idea, just not a good one

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
Fox80 said:
The second kit you have listed is the one I would use as well, although I personally would not buy a "kit" like that, most of the time the part quality in the kits is not very good. Moog Problem solver parts were always the best choice when I was still working in the garage, and they make everything in that kit, and it probably wouldn't be much more individually, check Rock Auto, I order everything from them, and like the above post says greaseable is the way to go, "lube-for-life" is a nice idea, just not a good one

I will price all of it at rock auto and see if it's affordable thanks for the info!

Poncho61

Apprentice
Mar 25, 2013
Peoria Illinois
Not picking at anyone here, so don't take it personally.

Greaseable is better only if you actually grease them. I've bought many cars over the years that had greaseable suspension parts, and dirty, never greased zerks were attached to them.

That said, since we're at this site, I'm gonna say that people here are obviously more car oriented than the average person, so the chances of actually greasing the pieces is far greater than you'd find on an average persons car.

One last point to consider. It requires homework on your part. Its never a good idea to mix grease types. An animal based grease mixed with a parafin or petroleum based grease can have a real negative effect on both grease types. Acids form, additives in one grease are broken down by additives in the other grease, and pretty soon, the grease is hard and actually abrasive and doing more harm than good. If you buy the greasable, your chances of finding out what grease is in there is pretty slim, so you'll want to keep after it and hope your greasing flushes all the original grease from the joint.

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
Poncho61 said:
Not picking at anyone here, so don't take it personally.

Greaseable is better only if you actually grease them. I've bought many cars over the years that had greaseable suspension parts, and dirty, never greased zerks were attached to them.

That said, since we're at this site, I'm gonna say that people here are obviously more car oriented than the average person, so the chances of actually greasing the pieces is far greater than you'd find on an average persons car.

One last point to consider. It requires homework on your part. Its never a good idea to mix grease types. An animal based grease mixed with a parafin or petroleum based grease can have a real negative effect on both grease types. Acids form, additives in one grease are broken down by additives in the other grease, and pretty soon, the grease is hard and actually abrasive and doing more harm than good. If you buy the greasable, your chances of finding out what grease is in there is pretty slim, so you'll want to keep after it and hope your greasing flushes all the original grease from the joint.

So would it be best to buy all parts from the same company and contact them to find to appropriate grease to grease the parts with? And I was wondering if RAYBESTOS from rockauto.com is credible product to purchase for suspension and steering components?

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
So would it be best to buy all parts from the same company and contact them to find to appropriate grease to grease the parts with? And I was wondering if RAYBESTOS from rockauto.com is credible product to purchase for suspension and steering components?

I have had good luck with Raybestos as well, the above post makes good points as well, I wouldn't so much worry about finding out what grease is in it, as a practice in the garage we always shot them with brake clean, and pumped some of our grease into them before the boot went on, I always told people the factory grease is just for assembly not actual use. ( by "our grease" I was referring to Mobil XHP 221 hands down the best I've found in 15 years, opinions differ I'm sure)

mhsmonte

Greasemonkey
Dec 4, 2008
Kentucky
Fox80 said:

I have had good luck with Raybestos as well, the above post makes good points as well, I wouldn't so much worry about finding out what grease is in it, as a practice in the garage we always shot them with brake clean, and pumped some of our grease into them before the boot went on, I always told people the factory grease is just for assembly not actual use. ( by "our grease" I was referring to Mobil XHP 221 hands down the best I've found in 15 years, opinions differ I'm sure)

Thanks for the information on cleaning with brake clean first and refilling with the Mobil XHP 221, I want to do everything right because I have my whole front end pulled apart right now and I don't want to have to pull it apart again anytime soon!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor