Regal with a stick

Status
Not open for further replies.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
On the 78-81 Chevrolets A bodies the V6 cars were 3 speeds and the V8 cars were 4 speeds. The other divisions were different and typically used their own engines with the exception of Oldsmobile that offered the Chevrolet 305 with a 4 speed or the Oldsmobile 260 in gas and diesel variants with the Borg Warner T50 5 speed. I don't have sales albums for divisions other than Chevrolet but the Buick and Pontiacs are probably the rarest of the 78-81 A body manual transmissions. I have seen most variants of manual trans on these years. I have never seen a manual trans Olds or Pontiac with a V6 nor have I seen a V8 Buick with one; not sure if the made them. Last year for a manual transmission in the US and Canada was 81. They made them as late as 84 or 85 in Mexico

Reactions: 1 users

81cutlass

Comic Book Super Hero
Feb 16, 2009
Western MN
Cool, I have seen chevs and olds with 260 and t50, even some Pontiacs, but never a Buick. Thanks for the lesson

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

Bonnewagon

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I remember seeing a '78 or '79 LeMans with the 301 4 speed. It had the SPRINT option decal on the lower fender panel. Never saw another one.

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
I am pretty sure there was a 78 4-speed with a 6 cylinder but I don't know how many were made
I think the 4 speed with a V6 was a Buick thing and only with the Buick V6. I have the 78-81A body Chevrolet sales books and the manual transmission Chevrolets were only available with the Chevrolet V6 and V8 engines to which V6s were 3 speed only AND V8s were 4 speed only. Anyone have the 78-81 Buick A body sales books?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor