regal with wchevy 350 vs 96 impala ss stock

Status
Not open for further replies.

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
i about to race a buddy of mine with an 96 impala ss stock with 350 lt1 i believe. i have a 87 regal limited with chevy 350 bored 60 4 bolt main over out of a 75 monte carlo rebuilt with a mild cam (not sure of the specs except its a roller cam and that thing talks with its cranked up lol) edelbrock intake edelbrock 600 carb, pop up pistons, flow tech headers, dual flowmaster orginal 40s 2.25 h pipes 700r4 tran. i dont know all the specs i have to get the paper from the guy that built my motor. i also still have the stock rear end ( for right now) and no ac. All i basically know its a high performance engine and the guy told me to only put 93 gas or it will run like crap. but i was wondering do i have a chance against the impala cause he makes it seem unbeatable and i want to run him to make him be quiet what do you guys think. heres a link of my car a little a video for fun just joking around http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T2W5zuuPiY8

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Supposedly those LT1 Caprices, Impala's, and Buick Roadmasters run in the 14's out of the factory. At least that's what my dad always said about his 96 Roadmaster. Personally I didn't believe him, I think the car I was driving back then which was a S10 tahoe, 4x4, 4 door, with a 4.3 V6 was quicker and that car was nothing special (other than to me for sentimental value). But he swore up and down it was true. It probably wasn't actually quicker, but it felt like it.

I don't have an answer for your question, it's kind of vague... But that's my .02 cents on LT1 powered land yachts. That's not to say I wouldn't rock an Impala SS though, I think they're cool haha.

dogsht

Royal Smart Person
Nov 11, 2008
Dayton, OH
If that thing actually has pop up pistons it probably needs at least 93 octane depending on the specific heads & pistons. Either a clutch fan or an electric fan will save you some power and you should have some type of shroud. Tall stock gears or a bad timeing advance curve or carberator setup will probably leave you seeing his tailights otherwise it could be a good fun close race. With the computer his should be on tune and a high 14 second car despite the weight he has to move. Your single best upgrade would be a rear end with 3.42/3.73 out of a salvage yard MCSS.

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
yeah i have a flex fan and i know i need a rear end lol. but that sucker still goes sometimes i barly be hiting the gas pedal and i look at my speed and i will be doing like 60 and it dosent even feel like it. I just want to shut him up. his car is bone stock with nothing special everything under my hood is brand new. and his car is known for having problems so i want to take a chance

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
kornball426 said:
Supposedly those LT1 Caprices, Impala's, and Buick Roadmasters run in the 14's out of the factory. At least that's what my dad always said about his 96 Roadmaster. Personally I didn't believe him, I think the car I was driving back then which was a S10 tahoe, 4x4, 4 door, with a 4.3 V6 was quicker and that car was nothing special (other than to me for sentimental value). But he swore up and down it was true. It probably wasn't actually quicker, but it felt like it.

I don't have an answer for your question, it's kind of vague... But that's my .02 cents on LT1 powered land yachts. That's not to say I wouldn't rock an Impala SS though, I think they're cool haha.

Yeah i agree i think there a nice car just want to beat the owner lol. Also have guys with crown vics that swear up and down there cars are fast :rofl: i dont know whats going on with these youngs guys.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
I know someone with a stock Impala SS and it's a nice car and looks good but it's rated at around 275 Hp at the wheels and about 330 lbs of torque and their curb weight is about 400 lbs more than a G body....he thought his car was fast till I took him for a ride in my car and I wasn't even pushing it hard. He thought I had a 3.73 rear end but I have a 3.08 which is the same as in his car. I have a 355 with vortec heads and basically the same exhaust system you have. Your engine most probably has more HP than mine since you have a roller cam and it sounds more lively than mine. I do have a 5 speed standard tho which has a better gear ratios for accelerating than a 700 which has a steep 1-2 ratio difference. You should have no problem leaving him behind with more power in a lighter car

468monte

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 26, 2010
pontiacgp said:
I know someone with a stock Impala SS and it's a nice car and looks good but it's rated at around 275 Hp at the wheels and about 330 lbs of torque and their curb weight is about 400 lbs more than a G body....he thought his car was fast till I took him for a ride in my car and I wasn't even pushing it hard. He thought I had a 3.73 rear end but I have a 3.08 which is the same as in his car. I have a 355 with vortec heads and basically the same exhaust system you have. Your engine most probably has more HP than mine since you have a roller cam and it sounds more lively than mine. I do have a 5 speed standard tho which has a better gear ratios for accelerating than a 700 which has a steep 1-2 ratio difference. You should have no problem leaving him behind with more power in a lighter car

yeah i know the only thing i worryed about is my rear end. wondering will he get me because of my stock rear end. And yeah and alot of people get on me about my trans lol . I always get you should of went with a 350 or 400 but i like the overdrive transmission though but i know what you mean with the gear ratio

Aaron88SS

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jan 31, 2011
Indpls, IN
It will be a good race. It wouldnt hurt to get a nice holley 650cfm you will notice the difference. My advice is tree him and you should stay in front.

SScamino

Master Mechanic
Jun 26, 2009
fishersville, Virginia
nawlins.... Think retro-fit cams. You don't need a roller block.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor