Relocating battery to firewall. Any How to's and thoughts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Minion1186

G-Body Guru
Apr 12, 2009
I'm now looking into the idea of relocating the battery to the passenger side of the firewall where the a/c box once was. Is this something easy to do?Expensive?

The reason being my idea in another thread about putting an Outside air induction system on my cutlass limits it because the battery is right in the way of the hole in the inner fender where the duct should run.

Should I relocate the battery to the trunk, or is the firewall easier because of how close it is to the starter compared to the trunk?

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada
Re: Relocating battery to firewall. Any How to's and thought

I would say put it in the trunk. If you're gonna go through the hassle of relocating it, might as well put it in the rear where the weight will do you the most good.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

Phoenyx said:
I would say put it in the trunk. If you're gonna go through the hassle of relocating it, might as well put it in the rear where the weight will do you the most good.

Kinda what I was thinking. About the only thing to be gained by moving it around in the engine bay as compared to the trunk, is a little bit of cash for longer battery cables.

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

Plus if it were moved to where the heater box is, it would be a little to close to the exhaust for me.

joe_padavano

Royal Smart Person
Sep 13, 2006
Northern VA

jrm81bu said:
Kinda what I was thinking. About the only thing to be gained by moving it around in the engine bay as compared to the trunk, is a little bit of cash for longer battery cables.

That's longer CABLE, singular. you don't need a ground cable running the length of the frame - just use the frame for a ground.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT

Phoenyx said:
X3
putting it against the firewall will require you to build some sort of structure to hold a heavy weight, and the flex and vibration there is higher than at the original location. and you'll be right on top of the header.
just make sure to oversize the power cable. the longer run means more resistance and heat so you need a larger diameter.

username

Master Mechanic
Jul 21, 2009
Tennessee

I agree that you dont want to mount a battery where the ac box was, I know firsthand that this is a headache.Years ago me and a buddy ran a street stock, the rules stated that the battery had to remain in the engine compartment so we had it mounted on a shelf we fabbed where the ac box was. To make a long story short we ended up vibrating and cooking a few batterys to death. Now granted a dirt track car takes a little more abuse than a street car :wink: ,but in the long run if your going to relocated the battery IMO your better off in the trunk.

eddieb1969

Apprentice
Jul 5, 2008
Fort Payne , Alabama

i agree , go for the trunk . Weight transfer is a good thing . not a bad idea to mount it in the same direction as the factory battery was , reduces plate shifting......

Phoenyx

Royal Smart Person
Jun 27, 2007
Alberta, Canada

eddieb1969 said:
not a bad idea to mount it in the same direction as the factory battery was , reduces plate shifting......
Wow I never knew that before. Thanks for that, I'm planning on relocating mine later this year. And I probably would have done it the wrong way lol.

jrm81bu

Comic Book Super Hero
Jul 9, 2008
Antwerp, OH

joe_padavano said:
jrm81bu said:

That's longer CABLE, singular. you don't need a ground cable running the length of the frame - just use the frame for a ground.

Lol, Mr. Technical :lol:
But you will need multiple ground cables so while you will only need one longer positive cable you will still need more cables.
I'm pretty sure most people including yourself knew what I meant. But then again it ight have been a good idea to clarify.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor