Battery relocation and fuel lines.

ooquadracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Im in the process of adding the electrical system to my wagon and need some encouragement. The car is now back halfed and I have my fuel system plumbed on the inside of the right frame rail. So far I have decided to locate the battery over the right rear wheel inside the body in an approved sealed vented box since I have no fire wall. There is not enough room to get it under the chassis with my cell being between the frame rails. To be a clean install I would like to route the cables outside the car logically down the right frame rail after coming out of the cut off switch for shorter wire runs. This is where I am skeptical. I don't like the idea of my hot leads being in the same vicinity of my steel braided fuel lines. My next option is running the cables inside the car but I will not have an interior in the back half area and would rather keep it clean looking instead of routing cable over or around wheel tubs. Any thoughts on ways of running the fuel line and cables down the same side is welcome.

Attachments

• 20231217_195018.jpg
    20231217_195018.jpg
    7 MB · Views: 36
  • 20231121_162618.jpg
    20231121_162618.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 55

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
Mine were all tied together and ran within the frame rail of the backhalf. Then they came out and ran down the inside of the factory frame rail together.

ooquadracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Mine were all tied together and ran within the frame rail of the backhalf. Then they came out and ran down the inside of the factory frame rail together.
Good to know people have done it. Thank you. Whether its right or wrong to do thats what I'm fighting.

bracketchev1221

Royal Smart Person
Jan 18, 2018
This is the best picture I have. You can see the hole in the side of the rail on the right side where everything enters the rail.
DSC01447.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

abbey castro

Royal Smart Person
Oct 31, 2015
Harker Hts TX
I run mine following the fuel lines. I used the plastic sheathing to avoid chafing. and zip ties a couple of feet apart to secure the cable.
1704230196283.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users

403Olds

G-Body Guru
May 31, 2014
South Central Ohio
Just my $.02, I remote mounted a F0rd starter solenoid to the trunk, so that the large wire was only hot when cranking. Had to extend the starter solenoid wire and added a fused charging wire from the alternator to the solenoid. Mines a street car, so I thought that this was safer. wires run up the LH side with the brake line.

Reactions: 1 user

ooquadracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
Just my $.02, I remote mounted a F0rd starter solenoid to the trunk, so that the large wire was only hot when cranking. Had to extend the starter solenoid wire and added a fused charging wire from the alternator to the solenoid. Mines a street car, so I thought that this was safer. wires run up the LH side with the brake line.
What size trigger wire did you run back to the solenoid?

ooquadracer

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2023
I ran #10 for the solenoid, and #8 for the alternator. This ran from a positive terminal block that I added under the engine compartment for the cab power, fan and headlight relays.
Thanks Ill look into this a little more. I have 1/0 I'm running from the battery to a junction on the fire wall and 2AWG from the battery direct to the charging system. My run is about 10 feet. Do you have a pic of your solenoid wired up by chance? How far u from the battery or back from the key switch and what size fuse did you use? Thanks

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor