remote control mirrors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Ohio
I have a 79 malibu classic which I want to install remote sport mirrors. I'm looking for interior pictures to show where the chrome bezel goes on the doors. I found out the drivers side from the photos in the dealer brochures but cant find a good photo of the passenger side. I picked up a pair of mirros and the passenger side cable is much longer than the drivers side which is making be think the joy stick mounts near the driver instead of on the passenger door itself. Does anyone know where the passender side joystick and bezel mount? Thanks - Frank

Attachments

• 056.jpg
    056.jpg
    228.4 KB · Views: 1,204

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
Here's the passenger side remote hidden behind the power mirror switch while I was wondering where to mount it.
319810318.jpg

Or you can go the extra mile and go power sport mirrors controlled from the driver's door bezel.
There's a thread for this in the DIY forum on montecarloss.com.
321220256.jpg

3XBrownCutty

Royal Smart Person
Mar 20, 2008
NW PA
Will the little power motor assembly from the monte/f-body mirrors swap over to the b.o.p. style or not?? Always wondered that, obviously you'll be running the monte mirrors though.

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
3XBrownCutty said:
Will the little power motor assembly from the monte/f-body mirrors swap over to the b.o.p. style or not?? Always wondered that, obviously you'll be running the monte mirrors though.
I can't tell you much about the BOP mirrors. Not really sure if they're the same shape or not. Be aware that the F-body mirror housings themselves are not shaped properly at the base to fit Monte doors. You may get lucky with other G-bodies or you might be able to modify the F-body housings. The mirror motors (along with the intregal glass pocket) were transplanted into the recipient housing. BTW, Fiero mirrors have been mentioned as possible donors.
Since it's no longer necessary to use the F-body switch you can even fabricate your own wiring harness by following the diagram in these threads:
This is about the motors and installation;
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/u ... Post522668
This one outlines how to use the mid 90's Caprice control switch;
http://www.montecarloss.com/community/u ... Post573351

Frank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Ohio
Thanks for the replies. I already have the correct mirrors for the 79 malibu. My question is where does the passenger side remote joystick and bezel mount? I was just in the garage in the car with the pass mirror and I'm guessing the joystick needs to go near the left or right of the steaing column. I dont have the sport interior so that may be why I'm having trouble figuring this out. The owners manual doesnt even show the position of the control on the page where it has a diagram of all the guages and other controls. It shows the rear defroster swtich, headlight and washer switches, all the guages and dash lights and says what each one is. Why they left the remote joystick location out is beyond me. The cable is long enough to reach to the parking brake release so that is why I'm very sure now it mounts somewhere by the driver. The photo of the Montecarlo interior is helpful to show the position. Maybe I'll have to fabricate something on the lower part of the dash to the right of the stearing column. Still searching......

Frank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Ohio
Here are a couple pictures of the interior:

Attachments

• 057.jpg
    057.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 1,205
  • 061.jpg
    061.jpg
    141.1 KB · Views: 1,203

Clutch_Grabwell

Greasemonkey
Jun 5, 2007
Millbury, Mass.
It's entirely possible that a remote passenger side mirror was not available on your model.
After comparing pictures, I'd suspect that the remote would have been located right where your defrost switch is. There appears to plenty of room between the column and that switch. See what's back there and find out if you have room to play with.

Frank

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 29, 2009
Ohio
Thanks Clutch. That is exactly what I was thinking I would do. If not there then I could put it below where the dash starts to roll under to the right of the steering column. It may not be stock but it should look ok.

Doober

Royal Smart Person
Apr 8, 2007
Swartz Creek, MI/Tucson, AZ
It would actually be right next to the defroster switch. Someone on MalibuRacing had posted a picture of the two next to each other, but I don't remember who it was.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor