Greasemonkey
Jan 26, 2010
Westfield, Mass
Awesome Idea!

jetsetw31

G-Body Guru
Sep 9, 2010
Petersburg, VA
Wow, a engine hoist. Now that's thinking out the box!!

Doug213xrj

Royal Smart Person
Dec 30, 2011
West Michigan
malibootay said:
Great info doug, thanks....did you have to remove your motor?

Yes, I was changing the motor. The motor could stay if you didnt mind working around it.

Doug

malibootay

Apprentice
Sep 26, 2013
Grand prairie TX
Ok, if I decide to go the seatbelt and engine hoist route, do I have to remove the doors? Where do I put the 4x4s on the body to keep from bending any part of it?

86 Grand prix

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2012
Chocowinity NC
I just jacked mine up front and rear and placed stands outside the tire width with 4X4's long enough to go from side to side under the body. It was slower but really stable. When you first jack the body off the frame put the 4X4 across the frame and rest the body on it until you get higher. I used one jack and worked back and forth from front to rear that way one end is always stable.

workinProgress

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 2, 2014
Poplar Grove IL
I used the hoist method on my first G body and it was great. Load leveler was used for stability when I did it. I think this time however when I do my cutlass, I am going to take the body to my buddies place and use his rotisserie on it and get it all cleaned up. I hate climbing under the car and such. Far easier to do when it comes to you instead of going to it. Molten metal sucks *ss on bare skin.

I had a buddy that when true red neck fashion on his 84 cutlass and undid all the body bolts, put 2 4x4's thru the window openings and 2 guys squatted the body off the frame. It was quite the site. Red neck engineering at its best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor