1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

removing body from frame

Discussion in 'Chassis / Drivetrain / Suspension / Wheels' started by malibootay, Feb 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. malibootay

malibootay Apprentice

How hard is it to take the body off the frame of my 81 malibu? what all is involved? what all do i need? I dont have a lift and would be doing it in my garage

2. rodneypierce

rodneypierce Greasemonkey

following, as I plan to do this here in the next month or so!

3. pontiacgp

pontiacgp Rocket Powered Basset Hound

are you taking the frame out or just lifting the body off of it?

4. malibootay

malibootay Apprentice

Well I was wanting to remove the body so I could either clean the frame and paint/por 15 it or have it powder coated. But I dont have a lift. Looking for the easiest way without a lift.thanks

5. Longroof79

Longroof79 Comic Book Super Hero

After removing your front fenders, hood, and rad support assembly...and I assume your engine and trans.
    After unbolting the body, unhooking parking brake, steering column, linkage, etc.
    Using a few floor jacks or construction type bottle jacks, you can gradually lift the body each side at a time. You'll need a few 4 x 4's across the underside of the body to support it when you're able to lift the body high enough off the frame.

Here's Doober's build thread. It might give you a few ideas of how to proceed . http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewt ... 4&t=113227

Make sure you soak all the body bolts with PB Blaster or a comparable penetrating oil. Everyday, or every other day, shoot penetrating oil between the bolts and body prior to breaking them loose. You can also try loosening them gradually with a breaker bar. Be patient and you might be able to loosen them all without snapping them. I was lucky in that respect.

• Like Like x 1
  6. malibootay

malibootay Apprentice

Great info and link! Gonna study up on this for a while.... Is there certain things I shouldn't do, like taking the doors off, etc

7. Doug213xrj

Doug213xrj Royal Smart Person

Sent you a PM.

Doug

8. lilbowtie

lilbowtie G-Body Guru

If you are going to take it apart, take the front clip off in one piece. Before you pull the doors drill two 1/8 in holes in the hinge to body to re-align them when you go back together. Here is an idea for lifting the body off using the seat belt bolt holes.

Attached Files:

9. malibootay

malibootay Apprentice

Great info doug, thanks....did you have to remove your motor?

10. malibootay

malibootay Apprentice

Lilbowtie, that is an awesome idea!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.