Repair OR Replace ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
My passenger side front floor pan. What would you do?
View attachment 188370
Repair hands down, those pans have pin holes and the majority of the metal is structurally safe.

You could fill that with welds or cut it out and weld new metal in, either way it's way 1000000x better than what I had in my car.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
My passenger side front floor pan. What would you do?
View attachment 188370
To make the decision easier on ya, the only time somebody should replace their floor pans entirely is if the corrosion is so rough, that it makes you wonder how safe it is like the photo demonstrates.

Well, either that or if you plan to restore it and want max resale that can be possibly got. But seeing as how you live in the south, take advantage of that- don't waste your money lmao.

But if you do decide to do a full pan replacement, I would definitely considering selling the old ones too man.

91606DCD-80EA-4082-B392-BAB728168B44.png

Last edited:

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
Once you start trying to weld all those pits/pinholes, I think you'll find there isn't much non-oxidized steel left...and there appear to be a LOT of them...unless I 'm seeing a different pic than these other guys.

Find a nice donor, and butt weld the patch in.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Answer this question. After you're done with the build...

...are you plannin' on hypin' and sellin' or keepin' and drivin'??

And however you answer the above question should enlighten you to the answer to your first question.
I'm going on a limb here, I don't believe James is a 'flipper' ;)

I could be wrong though.

• Agree
  • Winner
Reactions: 2 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I'm going on a limb here, I don't believe James is a 'flipper' ;)

I could be wrong though.
I don't either, but it doesn't matter what we think. It only matters what he thinks. If I was flippin', I would roll out a couple of coffee cans and tack 'em down, then cover with some spray undercoat and carpet it up. :)

After this amount of time, a couple of days and a few $$ difference in the big scheme of the project shouldn't be a big factor. There doesn't seem to be a time crunch.

He will find his own enlightenment and do what he feels is best for him.

ace-ventura-when-nature-calls.gif

Reactions: 2 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I love all these responses. I don't think i can go wrong either way, as long as it's done correctly. I had already made a preliminary decision to repair using a OEM pan I had saved from a car I parted a couple years ago. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I think i will cut out the pieces I need from the donor, since they will be formed/shaped correctly, and weld them in place.
I plan on keeping this car, unless someone has to have it. Being an Aero car, it's not likely... but you never know. The old saying - anything is for sale for the right price. I plan on enjoying it for 10 years, until I retire, then who knows.

Reactions: 3 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I love all these responses. I don't think i can go wrong either way, as long as it's done correctly. I had already made a preliminary decision to repair using a OEM pan I had saved from a car I parted a couple years ago. I wanted to hear what you guys had to say. I think i will cut out the pieces I need from the donor, since they will be formed/shaped correctly, and weld them in place.
I plan on keeping this car, unless someone has to have it. Being an Aero car, it's not likely... but you never know. The old saying - anything is for sale for the right price. I plan on enjoying it for 10 years, until I retire, then who knows.
Didn't want to sway your decision, but this is how I would go as well. Replace as little as possible that actually needs replacing. Or you could get Rktpwrd to come down and do metal magic for you. Buy him a plane ticket if he's vaxxed. Or get him to Mexico, then pick him up when he walks across the border unimpeded, because then he doesn't need to be vaxxed, apparently. You just have to get him before they put him on another plane to Florida or something. :)

• Haha
  • Winner
Reactions: 8 users

melloelky

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 22, 2017
mass
you could get Rktpwrd to come down and do metal magic for you. Buy him a plane ticket if he's vaxxed. Or get him to Mexico, then pick him up when he walks across the border unimpeded, because then he doesn't need to be vaxxed, apparently. You just have to get him before they put him on another plane to Florida or something. :)
^^that's more work than the repair^^ :)

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Once you start trying to weld all those pits/pinholes, I think you'll find there isn't much non-oxidized steel left...and there appear to be a LOT of them...unless I 'm seeing a different pic than these other guys.

Find a nice donor, and butt weld the patch in.
I counted less than 10 pinholes, but I would agree the best idea would be to cut out the bad area and use small patches here and there.

OP should spray some rust inhibitor too after the work is done, maybe even paint the metal too.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor