Repair OR Replace ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you are a skilled and patient TIG welder: repair.

Otherwise: replace.

Reactions: 1 user

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
I counted less than 10 pinholes, but I would agree the best idea would be to cut out the bad area and use small patches here and there.

OP should spray some rust inhibitor too after the work is done, maybe even paint the metal too.
All in the plan. Car will be painted inside and out. Thanks!

Reactions: 1 users

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
All in the plan. Car will be painted inside and out. Thanks!
Good stuff dude! Get some pics next time when you can, definitely would love to see it 👌

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
If you are a skilled and patient TIG welder: repair.

Otherwise: replace.

Or if you don't have a TIG:

I think my Instalame is listening to me and making suggestions to my YouTurd feed.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I counted less than 10 pinholes, but I would agree the best idea would be to cut out the bad area and use small patches here and there.

OP should spray some rust inhibitor too after the work is done, maybe even paint the metal too.
I counted over a dozen just in the lower right where the two ribs come close to each other. Once you put a little fire to those, they tend to become big holes.

Sounds like James has a plan, I'll leave it alone from here on out

• Agree
Reactions: 4 users

JAMCAR223

Royal Smart Person
Jun 6, 2014
Houston, TX.
If you aren't going to cut out the bad and replace with new....I'd suggest duct tape and roofing tar...
^^ 🤷‍♂️

Thanks for the response, but neither of those items will be involved in this repair.

Reactions: 1 users

Wageslave

Royal Smart Person
Jan 25, 2017
Dumb question, but could you MIG up the bigger holes with small patches, then use some Evaporust to clean the topside of the panel, then use 3M Panel bond for all the pitted and pinholed areas? Panel Bond doesnt absorb water or delaminate like fiberglass does. I am a little curious how it would hold up to the flexing of the floor pan.

g0thiac

G-Body Guru
Sep 6, 2020
Dumb question, but could you MIG up the bigger holes with small patches, then use some Evaporust to clean the topside of the panel, then use 3M Panel bond for all the pitted and pinholed areas? Panel Bond doesnt absorb water or delaminate like fiberglass does. I am a little curious how it would hold up to the flexing of the floor pan.
You could, but it's still a better idea to cut out the areas and weld new metal in. That way it lasts there.

57 Handyman

Master Mechanic
Feb 6, 2017
While your classic doesn't look too bad regarding rusted floor pans, I never do anything half-a$$ed when working on cars. Tin-canned replacement body repairs, slathered with body plastic or tar never was defined as a fix in my book! I suspect there are many who do that kind of work and get rid of the car. Hopefully, for their sake, they never buy a car from someone who has the same mindset.

Here is a rule-of-thumb to follow when dealing with rust repairs: cut 2-3 inches away from the rust hole or until you find good metal onto which to weld your patches. For the floor, I would do butt welds rather than lap welds to avoid places where moisture can collect and start the rust process again. Also, try not to leave squared/right angled corners; instead have rounded corners-drill holes in these areas. Reason for not having square corners is heat gets concentrated at the corner as you weld and you end up with blow-thru holes. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor