Replace TBI Fuel Injector?

Status
Not open for further replies.

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
Tried this in the Monte Carlo forum with no luck, but im wondering if anyone else may have came across the same problem or can offer any info on this one. I believe my TBI on 1985 Monte Carlo SC is going out, gas is burning rich and can be smelled outside the car once I've come to a stop. I also am seeing signs of leaking gas that im guessing didn't get burn all way. The mileage is also very horrible compared from earlier standards. I wouldn't be surprised if I need to replace my fuel injector, being that it's been in there since the car rolled off the line. If this is the case what would be the best brand and style to roll with for an everyday driver with no real interest in racing or extreme power?

DRIVEN

Geezer
Apr 25, 2009
*CENSORED*
New, remanufactured, and performance replacement (like a Holley) units are pretty expensive. I would probably just look for a descent used one. If that cures your problem but you still feel like you really want a new one...it's your money. If that doesn't cure it...at least you won't be out that much money. On a side note, there is no noticeable performance difference in the "performance" replacement TBIs.
http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... 5149&Nty=0
Be sure to check for vacuum leaks. A new O2 sensor would probably be a good maintenance item too .

family_72209

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 25, 2011
Little Rock, Arkansas
Well after finding a good ole shade tree mechanic and giving him a 6 pack, he found out that i had a pinched fuel line or fuel pressure return line and he thinks might have happen when the motor shop sat my new engine in. So tmrw im calling the motor shop and letting them knw what a "licensed and relay-able mechanic" found and see if they will replace it. Anybody knw how bad a problem this is or can become?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor