Replacing 78 231 3.8L with later 252 4.1L V6 questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boydness

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2014
West Ohio
olds307 and 403 said:
Fuel line needs modified. Will the front inlet cause a fitment issue?

When I looked, I saw that it will be close, it sticks out just above the water neck.
Although, I figure that a spacer should be able to raise it above the water neck if it is too close.

Clone TIE Pilot

Comic Book Super Hero
Aug 14, 2011
Galaxy far far away
The 4.1s used a side inlet Qjet housing. The idle tubes for the 4.1s are tiny compared to more common V8 Qjets.

I kind of wish my Regal had a 231 in it. Good gas mileage and power.

No you don't. Stock n/a 231 only has 110 HP (pretty poor power even by 80s standards) with a very low 8.5:1 CR and very poor flowing heads. You could install a 4bbl carb and intake, headers, dual exhaust and it would make 120 HP. You have to take them apart and rebuild them to better specs, or install a intercooled turbo setup like GM did. This is why I swapped mine out for a HO 305, it makes double the power while still getting the same MPGs as the 231.

ronbz455

Apprentice
Aug 10, 2013
I would love to build an all out racing 4.1 and see how it performs but don't know the pros and cons of it. If you get a phenolic Qjet spacer than that carb should work with the clearance.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Get the 1" thick Mr Gasket 4 hole phenolic spacer, comes with gaskets, studs and nuts. You can also use a different filter and the short housing off the side inlet carb. Some Turbo Buick guys are running 4.1 blocks.

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
Since it's got a Buick 3.8 in it right now, it'd be foolish to do anything other than put a Buick 350 in it.
The V6 to V8 swap is about as simple as it gets, and you'll never be happy with the V6 power unless you put a turbo on it...

Boydness

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 5, 2014
West Ohio
ronbz455 said:
I would love to build an all out racing 4.1 and see how it performs but don't know the pros and cons of it. If you get a phenolic Qjet spacer than that carb should work with the clearance.
olds307 and 403 said:
Get the 1" thick Mr Gasket 4 hole phenolic spacer, comes with gaskets, studs and nuts. You can also use a different filter and the short housing off the side inlet carb. Some Turbo Buick guys are running 4.1 blocks.

That was the exact spacer kit that I was considering using; although I am not sure I understand how to go about using a different filter and the short housing off of the side inlet (original) carb. Is there a link to a post or someone's setup? I did not think that I would be able to modify the front facing inlet any way.

Blake442 said:
Since it's got a Buick 3.8 in it right now, it'd be foolish to do anything other than put a Buick 350 in it.
The V6 to V8 swap is about as simple as it gets, and you'll never be happy with the V6 power unless you put a turbo on it...

I have been know to be foolish. I am considering the Buick 350 and even a SBC, although the top contender might be the '95 Firebird 3800 setup. My primary focus is to make the wagon drivable and then consider the options to improving the vehicle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor