Replacing a windshield materials list

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fox80

G-Body Guru
Jun 27, 2013
Jamestown NY
One tube? Are you sure you have enough? Did it squeeze out all the way around inside the car and out? I would seal it in the inside to be sure it won't leak, I hope you installed the trim before it set if the glass is to high you won't be able to snap the clips on, it's also a good thing in case the glass is to low. Nice car by the way always liked the Buick

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
yea it oozed out everywhere. As for the trim all you have to do is lay 7/16 to 1/2 bead and the shield will sit at the correct height. Just lightly tap, and its set.

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Isn't there a type of tape that acts as a dam to keep the urethane from oozing into the car, etc.? I believe it has a foam barrier.
At least that's what I recall finding when I pulled my windshield.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
I'd just pull your trim or put a 2" piece of tape all around the inside.

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
cool, now i can do my windsheild.that is when i find a good one for cheap

skulledmonte84

Master Mechanic
Feb 7, 2014
near Clearfield pa
tobyp said:
Ok, I am bound and determined to do all the work on my GN myself. I also have one hell of a connection for materials to do so the correct way with the correct tools

With this being said

GOt a brand new glass $60
Window weld 3m08609 11$
Primer $6

so for 78$ I can put a brand new one in myself

I am just unsure the amount of urethane needed. One tube enough? And what are the "pointers" anyone could share? Like using the windshield setting blocks correctly

Were did you get your glass at ?

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I'm pretty sure there is two different size trim clips. I believe it's the larger out of the two that is the proper one. I initially bought the smaller size clips and later exchanged them for the larger type type.
They both look very similar, just a slight size difference.

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
skulledmonte84 said:
tobyp said:
Ok, I am bound and determined to do all the work on my GN myself. I also have one hell of a connection for materials to do so the correct way with the correct tools

With this being said

GOt a brand new glass $60
Window weld 3m08609 11$
Primer $6

so for 78$ I can put a brand new one in myself

I am just unsure the amount of urethane needed. One tube enough? And what are the "pointers" anyone could share? Like using the windshield setting blocks correctly

I'm direct with safelite

Were did you get your glass at ?

tobyp

Royal Smart Person
Jun 12, 2011
Cincinnati, Ohio
Longroof79 said:
I'm pretty sure there is two different size trim clips. I believe it's the larger out of the two that is the proper one. I initially bought the smaller size clips and later exchanged them for the larger type type.
They both look very similar, just a slight size difference.

There are two different ones. Auveco part number is 11152 and it sits slightly taller and allows you to put the clip in the window channel and properly space the molding. I unfortunately installed the wrong ones and have to pull my windshield and reinstall

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Why do you have to pull the windshield, are the clips stuck in the urethane?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor