replacing lights with gauges on my 86 gp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
I have replaced the light pod with a gauge pod . I have changed the temp. sender and oil pressure sender . I am thinking that the voltmeter is bad in the gauge pod it never worked . the oil pressure gauge worked once. Today I attempted test the voltmeter I think perhaps it bad . I have located another gauge pod . I am thinking if it would be better to replace both with after market gauges. It will not be original but at the least they should work. i would like to know what some of you think about it. I am sure I don't want the a gauge pod on the a pillar

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
The GP has all kinds of room for gauges!!! If you're deadset on keeping it original, maybe just add a cluster under the dash.

Let your imagination run with it! Here is the custom cluster I made for my Cutlass several years ago...
20141211_113212.jpg

Reactions: 5 users

Injectedcutty

G body LS mafia
Nov 24, 2014
Louisville, KY
Reactions: 2 users

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
Thanks man. It will be a nice weather show car/cruiser, but will stomp some tail at will! I don't want to hijack the OP's thread with pics, so here is a link to my build thread....

https://gbodyforum.com/threads/87-cutlass-efi-build-11-7-17-time-for-paint.57506/
Thank you for your input and I do like your gauge cluster. still considering what to do. if it were possible to get around the printed circuit on the gauge pod replacing both gauges would be the best thing I think , but thinking sometime things start to smoke. and for me thinking is exhausting for me these days.

Reactions: 1 user

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
The Grand Prix dash just begs you to install a quartet of aftermarket gauges in it! I started with an idiot light cluster, removed all stock warning lights (and the fuel gauge), then shoved four AutoMeter gauges into it. I was able to arrange the gauges to my liking, meaning you can arrange yours however you prefer. Here is how it looks installed, but without the big woodgrain trim piece:

Vr0vS5F.jpg

• Winner
Reactions: 5 users

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
The Grand Prix dash just begs you to install a quartet of aftermarket gauges in it! I started with an idiot light cluster, removed all stock warning lights (and the fuel gauge), then shoved four AutoMeter gauges into it. I was able to arrange the gauges to my liking, meaning you can arrange yours however you prefer. Here is how it looks installed, but without the big woodgrain trim piece:
Thank for the look at what you have done with your gauges . I happen to have 2 pods (1) with lights the other has gauges so I can can modify a pod and make it look decent I think thanks again for the pic

Vr0vS5F.jpg

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
what's the measurement for the gauges in the pod
Vr0vS5F.jpg

565bbchevy

Geezer
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
Since my Regal is more of a cruiser I made a trio gauge pod for under the dash so I could add some mechanical gauges and leave the dash intact.
20170108_212200_resized.jpg
20170108_212035_resized.jpg

Reactions: 2 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor