replacing lights with gauges on my 86 gp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrSony

Geezer
Nov 15, 2014
Des Moines, Iowa
Plus the Regal had by far the stupidest gauge "cluster" of all the g bodies. Speed, fuel, lights for everything else. It's asinine.

I've always envied the GP dash, the cooliest of the G body dashes. GNX is a close second.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
The Grand Prix dash just begs you to install a quartet of aftermarket gauges in it! I started with an idiot light cluster, removed all stock warning lights (and the fuel gauge), then shoved four AutoMeter gauges into it. I was able to arrange the gauges to my liking, meaning you can arrange yours however you prefer. Here is how it looks installed, but without the big woodgrain trim piece:

Vr0vS5F.jpg
did you install new wire to your gauges. or did you use existing wires.

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
did you install new wire to your gauges. or did you use existing wires.

I had to install new wires. The way the stock cluster works, the plastic membrane slips over the exposed metal plug end--you'll understand what I mean if you've removed your cluster--and that connection isn't exactly the most reliable (at least not on my car). I found a wiring diagram for the plug, then I used a test light and multimeter to verify every wire, just to be certain. From there, one by one I snipped each needed wire off the harness plug, then grafted a new wire on to it. I attached these wires to a couple weatherpack connectors so that the gauges would be easy to remove for any reason in the future. From there, I built my own little harness to go to the respective plugs on the back of the gauges, and it all tucks into/around the gauge housings--only the weatherpack connector pigtail pokes out.

Sorry I don't have any photos of the installation process. However, here is a horrible photo of the finished result. (PRO TIP: try not to take interior pictures when your car is parked outside in direct sunlight.)

zojb5V7.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

james86gp

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 31, 2015
The Grand Prix dash just begs you to install a quartet of aftermarket gauges in it! I started with an idiot light cluster, removed all stock warning lights (and the fuel gauge), then shoved four AutoMeter gauges into it. I was able to arrange the gauges to my liking, meaning you can arrange yours however you prefer. Here is how it looks installed, but without the big woodgrain trim piece:

Vr0vS5F.jpg
thanks for the ideas finally got the lights out and gauges in . I see the tachometer what did you do for your speedometer

454GrandPrix

Master Mechanic
Jul 27, 2016
Lehi, Utah
The speedometer is the one that matches the tach (and the other gauges).

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor