Researching G-body Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I've never understood the change from A to G when 95% of the parts the same - beware of the wheel stud change from SAE to metric. AFAIC, a 79 Cutlass or Malibu is not what I consider an A-body - but what do I know?
Because GM wanted to use the A-body designator for the FWD cars, so in 1982, they went from that SAE to metric wheel stud, and changed the world by magically making the A-bodies into G-bodies. 81's were sort of "tweener" versions as it were. New body styling but still technically an A-body. Nothing really changed in large part except the designator.

Sort of same thing happened in 1985 for Oldsmobile though just a name change. Up through 1984, the A/G bodied Calais was the Cutlass sport version. The Calais was going to be its own model for 1985, as a FWD smaller car. Thus, they needed a new name to use for the 1985 G-body Cutlass sport version. So they used the older namesake of Salon to take the place of the RWD Calais. Then it went away at the end of the 87 model year.

• Informative
Reactions: 6 users

Dayzedandkonfuzed

G-Body Guru
Feb 9, 2010
Anglemont, BC
Because GM wanted to use the A-body designator for the FWD cars, so in 1982, they went from that SAE to metric wheel stud, and changed the world by magically making the A-bodies into G-bodies. 81's were sort of "tweener" versions as it were. New body styling but still technically an A-body. Nothing really changed in large part except the designator.

Sort of same thing happened in 1985 for Oldsmobile though just a name change. Up through 1984, the A/G bodied Calais was the Cutlass sport version. The Calais was going to be its own model for 1985, as a FWD smaller car. Thus, they needed a new name to use for the 1985 G-body Cutlass sport version. So they used the older namesake of Salon to take the place of the RWD Calais. Then it went away at the end of the 87 model year.

Season 6 Knowledge GIF by Friends

• Clever
Reactions: 2 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
Southern New Jersey near Philly
Firewalls are the same 78 to 88, floors are the same 2 door and 4 door with the exception of the El Camino where the transmission tunnel is shaped differently due to the extra length.
Radiator core supports are the same size, with the openings for the headlights being different.
Monte dashes are the same as El Camino, Malibu wagon and Malibu, the year breaks are 78-80, 81-85, 86-88, 81 to 88 are the same shape with a minor difference above the glove box.
1980 is a one year only dash board. The molded strip across the right side does not wrap around the edge. Some also have a black or wood grained molding covering this strip. Again, it was 1980 only.

Attachments

• 3.JPG
    3.JPG
    116.6 KB · Views: 257
  • INTERIOR.jpg
    INTERIOR.jpg
    60.4 KB · Views: 239
Reactions: 1 users

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
This is the 78-79 style. I should note that the only thing that I have seen that differs between the 78 and the 79 is the 78's do not have a dash emblem EXCEPT the El Camino SS models. The 79's all have emblems (i.e. Malibu, Malibu Classic, Monte Carlo, El Camino, etc)

Attachments

• 1042665641.jpg
    1042665641.jpg
    47 KB · Views: 210
  • 50027934_10212783490373816_6886454681556484096_n.jpg
    50027934_10212783490373816_6886454681556484096_n.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 205

81Regal

Royal Smart Person
Apr 5, 2009
Terril Iowa
True there was alot of 1 year only parts for each year 78 to 80 through out the A body lineup but will pretty much interchange.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
True there was alot of 1 year only parts for each year 78 to 80 through out the A body lineup but will pretty much interchange.
I've noticed several one year only features o my '81 Monte. Gauge cluster face plate for dash mounted wiper switch, rear window/trunk filler with lower window trim, full front bench & bucket seat covers, the wood grain pattern, pull strip ends screw cover with the matching wood grain, front grill.

Reactions: 1 user

Researcher

n00b
Nov 9, 2020
Thanks for all the input!!!
I purchased these manuals yesterday. I'm hoping to get images of core supports (etc.) and THEIR differences. Do y'all have any other manual recommendations?
Thanks!

IMG_5217.PNG
IMG_5218.PNG
IMG_5219.PNG
IMG_5220.PNG

Last edited:

gnvair

Royal Smart Person
Sep 1, 2018
I purchased these manuals yesterday. I'm hoping to get images of core supports (etc.) and THEIR differences. Do y'all have any other manual recommendations?
Thanks!

View attachment 161703 View attachment 161704 View attachment 161705 View attachment 161706
Not to be a Debbie Downer, but those are the worst manuals for comparison. I would be looking at info packets from GM Heritage or original GM service manuals and the specific GM parts books.

• Agree
Reactions: 3 users

GP403

Administrator
Site Admin
Feb 25, 2005
Rolla, MO
I purchased these manuals yesterday. I'm hoping to get images of core supports (etc.) and their differences. Do y'all have any other manual recommendations?
Thanks!

Well. Speaking from experience, the Chilton/Haynes stuff is "alright" as its very very basic, very "overhead" type of view of things. As you can see those books cover at least 3 different eras of cars (69-ish, 73-77, 78+), and inside I doubt you'll find a lot of specific photos of what you're looking for, i.e. firewalls (for whatever reason that's important idk) ... It's a whole lot of generic info and not much specific. The photos IIRC (I had the Cutlass book way back in the day) are just generic ones. If you've never touched a car before, they'll get you started at least.

If you really want to drill down and get into the hairy mess of specifics, you need:
  • The Factory shop manual for a specific Make/Model/Year, that covers electrical/mechanical stuff
  • The Factory Fisher body manual for a specific Make/Model/Year, that covers (wait for it) body and trim, glass, interior, etc.
  • and the parts catalog that contains the year(s) you're needing. This will be make and sometimes model specific depending on the year.
And even those will not have a ton of *photographs*, mainly functional drawings or "stock" photos of parts and tools, etc. They also won't cover the highly specific variations that exist, the parts books might list them but probably won't show much.

Best of luck

• Agree
Reactions: 5 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Be careful of the Fisher Body manuals as well. Sometimes they use "generic" photos of assemblies that could be 15 years older than what they're describing in the book. Or even of some other model, but used for "reference". So the Fisher book isn't always the best either.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor