Researching G-body Cars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ribbedroof

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Jan 4, 2009
Wellston, OK
I would like to install an SS monte Carlo dash in my '79 Malibu. From what I've read here, it sounds like it should work.
I will reuse the '79 instrument pod so the wiper switch won't have to be changed to the column. I'd like to hydrofilm
the plastic SS panel, matching that to other parts in the interior.

The pods differ between the round gauges and sweep speedometer. The MCSS bezel will accommodate the wiper switch if you cut it out where marked on the backside. Or find an 81 bezel from a round gauge car

R.O.

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 29, 2016
The pods differ between the round gauges and sweep speedometer. The MCSS bezel will accommodate the wiper switch if you cut it out where marked on the backside. Or find an 81 bezel from a round gauge car
My pod is a round gauge unit but I'll probably go with Dakota Digitals set up when the time comes. Thanks...

Rus

Master Mechanic
Oct 7, 2016
Queensbury, NY
I've been meaning to hit a certain junkyard 20 miles from my house as he has a lot of classic stuff. My hope is to find an aluminum core support. To be clear, would that 78 or 79 core support fit my 83 Monte? I think that's a fitting topic here?
The aluminum and the steel radiator supports will interchange. I do not know if will work in your Monte Carlo. The headlight areas may need some modding on the aluminum one

Reactions: 1 users

Tim & sleek

Apprentice
Apr 24, 2018
Fort Wayne, In
I would like to install an SS monte Carlo dash in my '79 Malibu. From what I've read here, it sounds like it should work.
I will reuse the '79 instrument pod so the wiper switch won't have to be changed to the column. I'd like to hydrofilm
the plastic SS panel, matching that to other parts in the interior.
Hey I would like to hear more about the hydro film. If u would.

Jim Larkin

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2018
I installed a 86' Monte SS complete dash into my 78' Monte. I had a parts car so I did the dash and entire wiring harness. Everything bolted right up. I swapped the entire interior as I wasn't a fan of the bright red interior mine came with. Everything was fairly simple. I did have to move some of the door panel clips a bit, and had to re-use the upper 1/4 panel as 78's had the recessed window and 86' had the flush 1/4 window. I also had to go with an aftermarket speedo. I changed to a 5 speed manual Tremec and a 3.73 8.5' rear so there were no correct transmission gears to get speed correct. Good luck.

Attachments

• IMG_0919.JPG
    IMG_0919.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0930.JPG
    IMG_0930.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 121
  • IMG_0931.JPG
    IMG_0931.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 115
  • IMG_0932.JPG
    IMG_0932.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0942.JPG
    IMG_0942.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 118
Reactions: 4 users

Aveune

n00b
Jul 15, 2020
Not sure how true it is... I was told and seen two gbodys with a 2016 impala dash. I would love to put it in my 78 monte landau.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
I installed a 86' Monte SS complete dash into my 78' Monte. I had a parts car so I did the dash and entire wiring harness. Everything bolted right up. I swapped the entire interior as I wasn't a fan of the bright red interior mine came with. Everything was fairly simple. I did have to move some of the door panel clips a bit, and had to re-use the upper 1/4 panel as 78's had the recessed window and 86' had the flush 1/4 window. I also had to go with an aftermarket speedo. I changed to a 5 speed manual Tremec and a 3.73 8.5' rear so there were no correct transmission gears to get speed correct. Good luck.
That’s a good looking Monte Carlo!

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

PBGBodyFan

G-Body Guru
Mar 3, 2009
Wisconsin
Here is a Christmas contribution regarding interchangeability of G-body radiator supports. There is a 1/2" difference in height between the 87 El Camino and Olds 442 radiator supports--the 442's is shorter. This 1/2-inch height difference is between the top surface and bottom edge where the support mounts to the frame. As a result, the fender attachment, hood latch, and front valance will sit too low.

Everything I've seen is the body panels will bolt up the same, the differences are relatively minute, I still don't get the headlight opening size thing either, the wiring or anything should fit either way. One thing I have noticed is when people swap core supports they often state it's too short by 1/2" or 1" and almost always because the front end is suspended while they work on it, not realizing how much the frame sags. I wonder how many people who've swapped supports have washers or spacers that don't need them.

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Think your survey ought to begin at 78. That is when the G-Bodies were first introduced.

The biggest immediate difference is the physical size of the A vs the smaller G's. By 1977 the Monte, for example, was an under powered luxo barge. Almost nothing cosmetic crosses the border from one generation to the next. Engines/transmissions are almost always an exception. Do gotta agree with 64Nailhead here to a certain degree as well but think the major reason for the shift in designator is that, starting in 78, almost all the fasteners holding the car together were converted to metric. The motors and t-missions were still fractional until you got to the motor and t-mount bolts and nuts at which point metric took over. Transmission mounts are totally screwy as the bolts to hold the biscuit to the case are fractional and the bolt from the biscuit to the crossmember is metric. Total PITA.

Other than that, if you skinned a G-Body down to the bare cabin, they don't vary much internally from one make to another.

Nick

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: 1 user

LS6 Tommy

Not-quite-so-new-guy
May 6, 2018
I've never understood the change from A to G when 95% of the parts the same - beware of the wheel stud change from SAE to metric. AFAIC, a 79 Cutlass or Malibu is not what I consider an A-body - but what do I know?
GM changed the designation in '82 when they introduced the new FWD "A" platform.

Tommy

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor