restoring interior plastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
my 85 cutlass has a pretty solid interior except for some cracks and scratches in the plastic trim does anyone know how to or a product that will help me restore these if possible, I have a few other older cars with the same issue and am trying to avoid paying for new parts if i can find them at all

MrLightning

Master Mechanic
Sep 10, 2011
northeast,Ohio
what color are the parts your trying to repair?

lyndon

Apprentice
Oct 25, 2011
kansas city area
I dyed mine from maroon to black. I didn't have the cracks but they probably have some plastic fill at the parts store. I lightly sanded mine down then cleaned them off real good with soap and water. Just make sure they're not oily still. Then I sprayed them with a couple light coats of bulldog adhesive promoter(got that at oreilly for 20 bucks a can). When ur second coat is sticky and almost dry hit it with a light coat of ur color of choice. Keep light coating until u like it. Light coats is a must here, so u don't get the runs. That's it basically check mine out their not bad

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
thanks guys i'll try to find a filler and will check out the promoter for sure

565bbchevy

Geezer
G-Body of the Month
Aug 8, 2011
Michigan
When you go to paint it almost everbody on here uses SEM paint on top of the adhesive promotor and when I do any interior parts I finish it off with SEM low luster clear that protects the color and gives a factory type shine.
Every plastic part in my interioir has been painted with SEM.

Attachments

• IMG_0148.JPG
    IMG_0148.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 952

emoney87

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Aug 9, 2010
your interior looks good man, i will get the SEM dye, I tried the dupont the color was way off n looked like a tuner color.

85GPLef41

Royal Smart Person
Nov 14, 2008
Colorado
I need to do my replacement dash board as well. It is burgundy and i need to dye it to grey. how would i find the correct color code? i don't want it not match the rest of the interior.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor