Retirement

Status
Not open for further replies.

airboatgreg

Comic Book Super Hero
Oct 2, 2016
Worked hard my whole life. In my 20's and 30's I worked tons of side jobs after work. Maxed 401k since beginning. Married late at 36. Divorced at 42. No kids.
I've had 3 major lower back surgeries and another cervical. Lots of titanium in me. And nerve damage has retired me since age 51. It's hard right now due to income loss and don't want to touch 401k until 59 and a half. Pain is relentless. But still I fight.
Not the way I thought my retirement would be.
Hang in there. I have a fractured back and exercise to keep it at bay. Surgery is last choice. I get a massage monthly and go to a float tank for relief. Both are amazing. Good luck

Reactions: 4 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Worked hard my whole life. In my 20's and 30's I worked tons of side jobs after work. Maxed 401k since beginning. Married late at 36. Divorced at 42. No kids.
I've had 3 major lower back surgeries and another cervical. Lots of titanium in me. And nerve damage has retired me since age 51. It's hard right now due to income loss and don't want to touch 401k until 59 and a half. Pain is relentless. But still I fight.
Hang in there, dude!

Have you checked with the SSA about SDI, or have a MINE status with them (Medical Improvement Not Expected)? If so, you may be able to petition the IRS to exempt you from 401K early distribution penalties if you feel you have to. I don't know much about it, but a guy at work suffered a heart attack and his heart was so weak he couldn't work anymore, and it took some time, but he was able to get medically retired and was able to get SDI and then able to be exempt from IRS' early withdrawl penalties.

Reactions: 6 users

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
Retirement!? What's that?
I'll be retiring when I draw my last breath (Or hit the big one) due to my fun filled misspent youth.
I’m like you , I’ll be 68 in August and still do a hard labor job . Asbestos abatement.
I’ll drop on the job someday
My slightly younger wife can’t retire for 35 months yet when she can get Medicare
I was never fortunate enough to have worked anywhere that offered any form of retirement

• Sad
Reactions: 9 users

motorheadmike

Geezer
Nov 18, 2009
Saskatchewan, Truckistan
Thanks to malevolent leaders and a callus nation Natasha was forced to release/retire from the CAF due to the Federal COVID-19 vaccination mandate. Time for her to start over after 17 year of service at age 36.

Last edited:
  • Angry
  • Wow
Reactions: 5 users

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
I was in a similar situation. I dont think anyone can prepare for a life changing injury. I had a great job. Didnt make a ton of money but it paid the bills. My wife was working full time as an ER RN. Two kids. House. Car payments. Toys. I was also working on the side for most of my life. Shaping cars, helping a friend of mine doing a little carpentry, even helping the guy that was my best man put up window treatments. Did that for over two years. Best side money I ever made.

In '89 I had L5/S1 issues. Not bad enough to keep me from working. In '08 I had a bit of cancer. The easy one to fix but I was out of action for 3 months due to some healing issues. While I was out I started having issues with my hands burning. I had some neck issues but they were never a big issue. Turns out I had 4 herniated cervical discs. Two with nerve impingements. I worked at a DOE site that had a team of doctors onsite. The docs looked at all the reports and told me I was now a liability and had to go on LTD. That was the most shocking thing that Ive ever been told. I was hoping for a job change that would let me keep working but I was union so it couldnt happen.

I took a 40% loss in pay. My son had just graduated HS and my daughter was just starting. We were sweating. My wife was still working but two years later she got put out due to her own neck injury and eventually having double knee replacements. She also took a 40% hit. In the end we made some serious life changes. Paid the house off as quick as we could. Not much CC debt. Bought two used vehicles that we still have instead of buying new trucks every 3 years. The only great thing about my job was the retirement plan. After I left on LTD my job was still putting money into my retirement until I turned 66 and officially retired.
Now we just move along. We planned on moving to a cheaper and warmer area but those plans are over. Houses are up as high as they are here. Son and his wife are making good money at their jobs. Same with my daughter. Looks like Im staying put. Plus my health issues are a big issue. Neck got worse. Both knees are bone on bone. I feel like an old guy. It sucks. Getting old is not for the weak. LOL

• Sad
Reactions: 6 users

SS_Malibu

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Sep 27, 2021
Mesa, AZ
I left my job just shy of 33 years in 2008 due to an injury. I was 53. I was covered on disability until I hit 66. Then officially retired. Took a while to get used to at first. I worked with a great bunch of people. Some I still see, others are a phone call away. We all were around the same age when we started. All got married and started families around the same time. Most were car, boats, bikes,and gun guys. Its like we grew up together.
You did grow up together. Just not in the childhood/school years sense. When you spend most of your life with the same group of people, that is called growing up together. There was plenty of learning and sharing with each other along the way and we all continue to grow and grow up until the Golden Gates of Heaven have opened for us.

Reactions: 4 users

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Retirement!? What's that?
I'll be retiring when I draw my last breath (Or hit the big one) due to my fun filled misspent youth.
Right there with ya brother!

Edit, I want to add something though - retiring to sit at home and do nothing isn't what I want to do anyway. I might as well use my mind to make money when I hit the point that my body can't make money. If Dementia or senility set in, then I won't care anyway (or know the difference) ;)

Last edited:

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I guess I was very lucky. In the early 80's I tore cartilage in my knee. I honestly felt like I would never walk again. For a mailman that is game over. Of course they wanted to do all kinds of surgery which I was scared to death of. At the last minute the pain subsided a bit and I refused the operation. What I did was to go in to work and rack my route, then go deliver the first hour which was a medical building- not much walking. Then I took four hours sick leave and went down to Far Rockaway and surf fished in the cool salt water. I was a sight dragging my bum leg behind me as I hobbled to the water. But standing in the Ocean water was big medicine. Slowly the knee got better. I caught a ton of fish. By the end of the Summer I was back at full duty. I bid on a much flatter route right outside the PO. A few years later I was good as new. I was able to continue working and eventually bid on a Parcel Post truck route that was much easier on the body. But by 2008 both legs were hurting and I didn't need much convincing to throw in the towel. 14 years later I am busier then ever and I wonder how I got stuff done when I was working.

Reactions: 7 users

CM1SCW

Greasemonkey
Nov 6, 2020
Lenoir City,TN
Retired 2 years ago. Just finally eligible to retire and done with the stress and agrievasion. Not regretting it one bit. Enjoyed getting the LS swap done and the suspension upgrades. Gone to a bunch of car shows last year, plan on the same this year. I stay busy with projects around thehouse. Have to change out the heater core its leaking.

L92 OLDS

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 30, 2012
West Michigan
From a financial standpoint I have been blessed. As an engineering manager I made good money and have been an “HCE” for many years (Google it). My wife has a solid job and over the years we have lived off her income and invested the rest. My residential construction business and building spec homes has also provided more than we would ever need. These income streams and the stock market made me a multi millionaire while in my 40’s. Unknowingly I’ve been following Dave Ramsey’s plan for the most part. If you need some solid finance advice check him out. Money is really meaningless in the grand scope of things and I would trade everything for good health. Many of you know that 2 years ago I was diagnosed with cancer (LAMN / PMP). I’ve seen all the experts in the US and all options have been exhausted. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve been told “ there is nothing we can do”. Just go home with your pain pills. I have been waiting for a clinical trial in Australia to begin. This is my only hope at this point. I’d appreciate your continued prayers for this. Remember not to take your health and loved ones for granted. It’s everything. Money is only a tool. If you made it this far thank you for reading my post!

• Winner
Reactions: 11 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor