Reuse connectors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
First time I've ever seen the term "5th Gen Gbody"..

Many of the 80's and 90's stuff had the same connectors, if you have a local junkyard that will help.

Reactions: 1 user

Built6spdMCSS

Geezer
Jun 15, 2012
Florida Beach
I build and do my own wiring, I've replaced many connectors, have the pin tools for pretty much everything GM. Some people cut & splice, I can un-pin and re-pin on a new connector, and have done so to make it look clean.

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa

Reactions: 2 users

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
So either set or is there a need for both styles. Not sure if they are the same just different styles

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
So either set or is there a need for both styles. Not sure if they are the same just different styles
You'll actually need both sets. I have a matrix that is included with the dealer service packs that list which jaw crimp is need for the two crimps needed (one for terminal on bare wire & one for the terminal on the insulation). These two work with most GM terminals.

mikester

Comic Book Super Hero
Mar 10, 2010
Small town NY
FYI, you can buy short runs (10') of all different AWG wire from wirebarn.com and acdcwiresupply. When I rewired my two Malibus they had every color I needed to rewire under the hood. Why buy a large spool when you dont need it. I bought 99% of the wire from wirebarn. Nice guy to deal with and he usually ships the same day. acdc sells wire with tracers but I didnt need any doing my cars since I was doing the engine/starter/charging
As far as crimpers I bought both sizes from american auto wire in NJ, I think they might have them as a set or single. Its been a while since I bought them. Good to have in the box so just bite the bullet and get them. LOL
Not sure what the 87s use as far as terminals but if you need standard Packard terminals this place has a good selection and you can buy the amounts you need not a huge box of them. http://www.texasindustrialelectric.com/_packard_terminals.asp
Also if youre looking to keep a factory look hit up the local junkyards and check out Chevy pickups. The T fittings and reducers for split loom are pretty common in those. They clean up nice and a quick coat of SEM Landau Black make them look like new. I grabbed every one I could find.

64nailhead

Goat Herder
Dec 1, 2014
Upstate NY
Agree with others here about checking the harness with a multimeter. Do more than a continuity test - check resistance as well.

I have wire hanging in the wall from wire barn. I buy it in 25’ pieces. I’ve wired 4 megasquirt systems from scratch. From simple TB injection setups to sequential injection with coil in plug (LS coils) with multiple fuel pumps, boost controller, meth injection, dual fans, vacuum pump, etc. And after completing several of these, buying a Holley premade harness starts looking cheap. And I checked the the new Holley harness pin to pin with a multimeter before I ever installed it.

In terms of looking for the harnesses, if you’re looking for factory stuff, then hit up guys that are LS swapping their cars. I’ve thrown out 3 factory engine harnesses :(

What engine is in your car?.

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
  • Useful
  • Agree
Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor