Reuse connectors??

Status
Not open for further replies.

john87442

Master Mechanic
Supporting Member
Mar 9, 2021
Geneva ohio
Thanks hutch! Can’t wait for your video on the harness. I Watch your videos all the time as I’m working on mine. Great information on what to watch for. Best stuff on the innerweb for this project. If I was rich I’d sponsor you…. But I’m not. Anyway a special thanks for what you do.

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
If I was rich I’d sponsor you…. But I’m not. Anyway a special thanks for what you do
Thank you. I can barely sponsor me some weeks 😁

Next video is the engine going in, and after that wiring harness rebuild/modification.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Thank you. I can barely sponsor me some weeks 😁

Next video is the engine going in, and after that wiring harness rebuild/modification.

Hutch
Rewiring Rule #1. Every new wire comes with smoke inside. Be careful not to let any of the smoke out. Wires usually won't work anymore when that happens.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Not all wiring is created equal.

Going over the link Hutch sent out for striped wire- Just a word on buying new wire. Three types of underhood wiring are available. TXL, GXL, and SXL, with the XL signifying "cross-linked". This means the sleeving is PVC, but is pressure extruded to adjust molecular arrangement making it more resistant to heat/abrasion. Try to get GXL for underhood stuff or wiring that could see higher heat or elements. It's got a bit thicker sleeving on it than the TXL, which has the thinnest sleeving. A step up from GXL is SXL, but it may or may not fit into tight connectors. So, just keep that in the back of your head. But if it will fit, SXL is the best choice IMO, followed by GXL. All three types are good for underhood applications and are pretty good at withstanding abrasion, moisture, oil, grease and most acids. Rated at 60V with -60 deg F to 257 deg F temperature range.

GPT is general purpose thermoplastic wiring, and suitable for many inside the body and door wire applications, but it's furthest down the food chain. Ratings are 60 V with -49 deg F to 185 deg F temperature range.

• Useful
Reactions: 3 users

pagrunt

Geezer
Sep 14, 2014
Elderton, Pa
Not all wiring is created equal.

Going over the link Hutch sent out for striped wire- Just a word on buying new wire. Three types of underhood wiring are available. TXL, GXL, and SXL, with the XL signifying "cross-linked". This means the sleeving is PVC, but is pressure extruded to adjust molecular arrangement making it more resistant to heat/abrasion. Try to get GXL for underhood stuff or wiring that could see higher heat or elements. It's got a bit thicker sleeving on it than the TXL, which has the thinnest sleeving. A step up from GXL is SXL, but it may or may not fit into tight connectors. So, just keep that in the back of your head. But if it will fit, SXL is the best choice IMO, followed by GXL. All three types are good for underhood applications and are pretty good at withstanding abrasion, moisture, oil, grease and most acids. Rated at 60V with -60 deg F to 257 deg F temperature range.

GPT is general purpose thermoplastic wiring, and suitable for many inside the body and door wire applications, but it's furthest down the food chain. Ratings are 60 V with -49 deg F to 185 deg F temperature range.
Another wire to avoid but hard to know if not listed is soy based sleeved wires cause it attracts all those hungry rodents that can smell the soy.

Reactions: 1 user
Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor