Reverse light wire color?

Status
Not open for further replies.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
I just installed a new B&M floor shifter in my 82 Cutlass. I found the neutral safety switch wire but not sure which one is for the reverse lights. Can anyone tell me? I did a search and came up with nothing for which wire or color it is.
Thanks Steve

Footbrake

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Dec 3, 2006
Buffalo, New York
reverse light

OK, Down on the bottom of the steering column, you'll find a white ,half moon shaped plastic switch with 2 wires on it. That's the reverse light switch. You may have to drop the column cause it's on the top of the column down near the bottom. Cut the wires and splice into them and run the 2 wires up to your shifter switch

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
Cut the green wire and run it to the B&M switch. Un plug the factory plug from the switch on the colum and put a jumper wire between the two terminals on the plug. I did this the other day on my Megashifter. Of course if someone else has a better or safer way, let us know!

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
when installing a B&M shifter does the linkage from the shifter bracket on the transmission to the column get removed?

BrownGP83

Master Mechanic
Oct 9, 2008
Chamberlain,South Dakota
pontiacgp said:
when installing a B&M shifter does the linkage from the shifter bracket on the transmission to the column get removed?
Yes, the B&M is operated by a seperate cable and special braket on the transmission. The factory stuff has to be removed, leaving the factory reverse light switch useless.

85_SS

G-Body Guru
Nov 6, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Don't cut the wires - you can just tap into them with regular spades:

291978_341_full.jpg

...and another way to do it is to use both the aftermarket and factory gear selector at the trans, leaving the backdrive rod connected. This way you don't have to worry about any wiring. If I ran an aftermarket auto shifter, I would personally go this route (unless of course there is header interference).

The neutral/safety switch is part of the white half moon shaped switch mentioned above, so note that this feature will no longer work either unless you rewire this as well.

gs dewd

Greasemonkey
May 25, 2008
Crimora, Va
pontiacgp said:

It depend on wheter your car had a floor shifter or a colum shifter. On the floor shifter models there is a rod that goes to the colum that the activates the neutal safety switch and backup light switch. The floor shiter has a cable like the b&m shifter. The colum shift models have a lock in them and may not rotate the colum when shifted with the floor shifter like the fact floor shift models do.

82cutty

Greasemonkey
Aug 3, 2008
Thanks for all the replies. Got it hooked up tonight using the factory plug and some wire. Works like a charm!

Blake442

Geezer
Apr 24, 2007
Minneapolis
pontiacgp said:

I've got a B&M shifter, and I still have my trans-column linkage hooked up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor