Reverting back to a bench seat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

zdeckich

Master Mechanic
Jun 23, 2013
Fort Worth, TX
That pic he posted looks like for Buckets.

79 USA 1

Royal Smart Person
Sep 2, 2011
Cheektowaga, New York
Alright, do the bench seats only require the 2 mount points on the side by the doors?

Correct! The ones that look like parentheses.
If using the split 40/60 bench you need the mounts next to the transmission tunnel.
Standard bench seat just uses the ones next to the doors.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Excellent, thank you. Which seat configuration is that for? Full bench, 60\40, or buckets?
It's for bucket seats. The car was formerly a full bench seat car which does not require using the inboard mounts next to the tunnel.
I welded in the center mounts and shifter/ console mounts.

Btw, I knew a guy(from another website) Adam in Pensacola . He had a red Malibu coupe and runs a machine shop.
I believe it was called Booth Welding. He sold the Malibu years ago. I don't know whether you know him or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

PushrodV8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
It's for bucket seats. The car was formerly a full bench seat car which did not require using the inboard mounts next to the tunnel.
I welded in the center mounts and shifter/ console mounts.

Btw, I knew a guy(from another website) Adam in Pensacola . He had a red Malibu coupe and runs a machine shop.
I believe it was called Booth Welding. He sold the Malibu years ago. I don't know whether you know him or not, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Yeah buddy I know him. Was the website pensacolariders.com?

Big Adam he was known as there.
I swear everybody knows everybody around this little town!

Did he have a bench seat sitting around? ;)

Reactions: 1 user

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Yeah buddy I know him. Was the website pensacolariders.com?

Big Adam he was known as there.
I swear everybody knows everybody around this little town!

Did he have a bench seat sitting around? ;)
Hahaha...I don't know if he has a bench seat lying around, but it couldn't hurt to ask him.
He might know of one somewhere....you never know.

Big Adam...that's the man. I actually knew him from Malibu Thunder, which is now defunct.
I think he got into bikes shortly after.

Patobusta

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 2, 2017
I could use that bucket conversion brackets if your not keeping them.
My 81 monte has 40/60 bench and I have a nice pair o' recaros waiting for him!

PushrodV8

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Sep 28, 2017
Pensacola, FL
I finally found one only 4 miles away from my place which I'm picking up tonight after work. (I posted a WTB ad in Craigslist and got a response within 1 day so that's cool)
Once I get these buckets out I'll see what the bracket situation is and I'll let you know.

I'll even snap some before\after pictures to show how the process goes. *I'm sure someone in the future will want to perform the same operation I'm doing here. Don't get me wrong, the bucket seats are great but being that there isn't a backseat it makes the car less 'practical' for someone like me.

Having the bench seat gives my kids the opportunity to roll around with ol'dad in the cruck. ;)

And maybe, just maybe one day I'll be able to pickup a nice truck-boat-truck like Early!

Do not touch the trim!
truckboattruck.png

• Creative

Longroof79

Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
I could use that bucket conversion brackets if your not keeping them.
My 81 monte has 40/60 bench and I have a nice pair o' recaros waiting for him!
You could pick them up fairly cheap. They repop them as well. Check out Dixie, Mike's, or any parts seller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor