Richmond gears are now made in India

Status
Not open for further replies.

moose

Greasemonkey
Jul 20, 2008
ICT, KS
I'm sure a lot of you know, but for those who don't...I just found out today. I bought a set of their gears thinking that I was supporting an American made product. Get them from UPS today, box has Made in USA printed on it, but I open it up and a Made in India sticker is staring right at me. I also notice the ring has "Excel" stamped into it, which irritated me cause I made a point not to get this "value version." A call to Richmond explains that they were bought out by the same company that owns Motive Gears. The Excel version are the ones that are made in India and are replacing the gears once made in the closed North Carolina factory. The tech I talked to even went so far as to say that Motive and Richmond are now almost identical and pointed out the contact markings to me. The paint coated three teeth completely from heel to toe. USA made gears only contact about half the ring. Which, as was explained to me gave Richmonds their (former) extra strength. The tech translated the production markings and said that I had a set of gears that was one of the first runs of that ratio in India and that the gears must have (obviously) been packaged in the wrong box. He seemed very concerned about this and arranged for a free install kit to be sent to me for the mix up, but agreed that I might as well exchange them for Motives and save some money.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
This crap bugs the sh*t out of me. Today I fought with some AC Delco HVAC parts made in China that didn't fit. I shouldn't have to modify AC Delco parts to fit the damn car! Are we ever going to see Made In USA again?!? :evil:

oldtinsmith

Royal Smart Person
Jun 14, 2010
Auburn, Michigan
I bought a Hurst 4-speed shifter for a saginaw trans. It was made to replace the stock factory floor shifter in my El Camino. Yup! The shifter and install kit,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,MADE IN CHINA!!!
I'm a member on another site (non-automotive) and they have a section where members can tell what US made products they bought and where they were made! I LIKE IT!!! Wouldn't it be nice if all sites did this?

Doug

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
How long before the first guy comes in and says get used to it you old farts? Sucks to see it happen. Really does. Prices are going up and quality going down. On just about everything. Some people might not see it but I believe it is just because they never have had the luxury of dealing with American craftsmanship. I am a youngster but I have tools, firearms, car parts from 50's, 60's and some firearms from the 1800 through today that are of extreme quality compared to what I can purchase from overseas. Pray it comes back here fellas.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
CHRIS.O said:
Pray it comes back here fellas.

we need to do more than pray...I send a thank you to companies who manufacture parts in the US that I buy. I also send emails to complain about parts made in china, MSD is one of them and I let them know I refuse to buy their parts made in china. I also let them know about the number of members here who read these forms about chinese junk and that I crew on race cars and we all talk the companies who are making chinese junk. Companies like UMI will flourish if we support them and that can lead to other companies opening up shop in the US. I do not seek out the cheapest part and will ask for parts that are made in the US and will pay more for them. We caused the chinese parts by demanding cheaper goods. Now we have to reverse that by demanding products from the US and don't b*tch about the price, as long as it almost reasonable. Putting money in your neighbor's pockets will pay you dividends down the road.

CHRIS.O

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2011
MI
pontiacgp said:
Putting money in your neighbor's pockets will pay you dividends down the road.

Absolutely true.

YGspider

G-Body Guru
May 13, 2012
Ontario Canada Eh
My theory is if we dont Import we would make more money as a nation or at least keep free trade open between Canada and USA, if I buy a product for my Cutlass I dont want no Rice parts you know. Im sure they dont have plastic parts and sh*t on Hondas in Japan that say Made is USA like :wtf:

DoubleV

Royal Smart Person
Feb 25, 2011
Medina Ohio
There's plenty of things still made in the US today. We make rich people richer, we make poor people poorer, we make plenty of crime, we make tons of crooked politicians, we make reality shows, and we make American flags...oh wait scratch that last one, those are all made in China now.

This country...my country... has become a place I'm not proud to be a part of anymore. The politicians and the filthy rich companies have turned it into a place where they can 'legally' do whatever the hell they want to do while destroying the backbone ( the normal citizens/workers ) of what made this country great in the first place.

lg1200

Master Mechanic
Mar 1, 2011
The problem isn't China...The problem is the USA. If you don't understand capitalism by now you never will. You're more patriotic to a country that doesn't gives two f*cks about what you think or what happens to you. They give a sh*t if your kid gets lead poisoning from his Hot Wheels or if your Richmond gears last 6 months. Seriously. I do support USA made products but i've also bought poorly crafted sh*t that was made here as well. I'll give anything a try before i bash it. You don't say that 'ricer' sh*t when you're buying your General Tso's chicken on friday nite for the fam...but when you buy products that your country outsourced to be manufactured in China now they're 'ricers'.

I wonder what you'd say if they were made in Africa.. Geesh..

-83MONTESS-

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 4, 2010
Bellevue, Ohio
DoubleV said:
There's plenty of things still made in the US today. We make rich people richer, we make poor people poorer, we make plenty of crime, we make tons of crooked politicians, we make reality shows, and we make American flags...oh wait scratch that last one, those are all made in China now.

This country...my country... has become a place I'm not proud to be a part of anymore. The politicians and the filthy rich companies have turned it into a place where they can 'legally' do whatever the hell they want to do while destroying the backbone ( the normal citizens/workers ) of what made this country great in the first place.
This^^^ sums it up :!:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor