Ride height & towing capacity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I have a '78 Pontiac factory manual. It says on a known level floor "A" and "G" series (except wagon) measured at the rocker panel or rocker moulding should be 10- 3/8" at the front and 10 -1/2" at the rear. This is with a full tank of gas, front seat rearward, tire pressure correct, door closed, and trunk empty. Side to side difference max is 3/4", front to rear may be +- 3/4". I tow a small boat with my wagon and it has a class 2 hitch, a 301 engine, 4 speed manual trans, 3:23 rear gears and it is quite capable. But the whole rig weighs maybe 1500 lbs including trailer and tongue weight is 100lbs. I prefer cargo coil rear springs and coil-over shocks but gas shocks work OK too.

• Informative
Reactions: 1 user

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
I have a '78 Pontiac factory manual. It says on a known level floor "A" and "G" series (except wagon) measured at the rocker panel or rocker moulding should be 10- 3/8" at the front and 10 -1/2" at the rear. This is with a full tank of gas, front seat rearward, tire pressure correct, door closed, and trunk empty. Side to side difference max is 3/4", front to rear may be +- 3/4". I tow a small boat with my wagon and it has a class 2 hitch, a 301 engine, 4 speed manual trans, 3:23 rear gears and it is quite capable. But the whole rig weighs maybe 1500 lbs including trailer and tongue weight is 100lbs. I prefer cargo coil rear springs and coil-over shocks but gas shocks work OK too.
thanks for the info. That is what concerned me is the side to side. I have new kyb shocks for the front I will check height. The shocks are original now. The rear driver's side was about 1/2 inch lower from the back. After I replaced the springs (Moog) and shocks (kyb) the rear is level now. For sure the front shocks are done I just did not want to replace the front springs just because they are 40 years old. If it an"t broke don"t fix it. As for the trailer hitch I thought it would stiffen rear frame rails. The trailer I was looking at is 2600 pounds and has electric brakes. May have to rethink this. Again thanks for the info.

Bonnewagon

Lost in the Labyrinth
Supporting Member
Sep 18, 2009
Queens, NY
I thought it would stiffen rear frame rails
Yes it will do just that. In fact guys who have no intention of towing add the hitch just for that reason. The wagons are particularly weak with longer unsupported rear frame rails. I did find that the AC Delco gas shocks with the coil springs around them did an amazing job of stabilizing the rear when carrying heavy weight or towing big stuff. The more they compress the stiffer they get but the ride suffers a bit.
1554468067591.png

Reactions: 1 users

Drag racer

Apprentice
Jun 30, 2016
Calgary, Ab. Canada
Yes it will do just that. In fact guys who have no intention of towing add the hitch just for that reason. The wagons are particularly weak with longer unsupported rear frame rails. I did find that the AC Delco gas shocks with the coil springs around them did an amazing job of stabilizing the rear when carrying heavy weight or towing big stuff. The more they compress the stiffer they get but the ride suffers a bit. View attachment 110371
Thanks for your response. I love the ride the way it is. Towing a trailer may be just a dream at this point but I do want to brace the rear frame. There is a shop down the street. See if he can weld in a bar between the rails. Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor