Right oil for transmisson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
DEXRON III / MERCON is the superseded fluid for the original DEXRON II fluid. The DEXRON VI fluid is a full synthetic replacement. If you are to use the DEXRON VI, you would need to flush the entire system replacing all the fluid with DEXRON VI. They do not recommend mixing the two fluids.

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Dexron 6 is a synthetic blend, not full synthetic. I used Dexron 6 in my 94 4L60E, when I replaced the trans. I also used Dexron 6 in my replacement 2004r in my Cutlass. I used some Dexron 3 with it when changing the governor and fixing the TV cable. Dexron 6 is supposed to be backwards compatible and superior. I have used the Valvoline Dexron 6 with seal conditioners and Mobil Dexron 6, neither said anything about no mixing with older fluid.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
This oil doesnt say anything about it being synthetic. Just Mobil Super ATF D/M, FTA D/M, also says for ford and GM vehicles. Is it ok?

Oldsmoletick

Royal Smart Person
Sep 18, 2009
cny
Yes, I supply Mobile atf D/M for any vehicles that come into the shop requiring dex II or III (gm dealer). As well as my own vehicles, all which called for dex II.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Oldsmoletick said:
Yes, I supply Mobile atf D/M for any vehicles that come into the shop requiring dex II or III (gm dealer). As well as my own vehicles, all which called for dex II.

Ok thanks! Also will having low fluid in the transmission affect fuel mileage at all?

Oct 14, 2008
Melville,Saskatchewan
Valvoline Max Life just says synthetic base oil, just checked. The Mobil says synthetic blend. The price of Valvoline is very cheap at Walmart here. Not even $5 a liter in the 5L container.

grand86prix_05

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
Chillicothe, OH
Lorenzo said:
Oldsmoletick said:

Ok thanks! Also will having low fluid in the transmission affect fuel mileage at all?

it can...if your trans is starting to slip, if that were the case then the bigger thing to worry about would be the transmission frying itself. Low level can cause aeration of the fluid, which can cause slipping but on small drives and usually if it isn't very low you will be ok. How do you know your fluid is low anyway? Did you check it properly?

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
olds307 and 403 said:
Valvoline Max Life just says synthetic base oil, just checked.
Hmmm, don't remember saying anything about Valvoline MaxLife :| But "synthetic base" means that that is a synthetic oil :mrgreen:

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
grand86prix_05 said:
Lorenzo said:
Oldsmoletick said:

it can...if your trans is starting to slip, if that were the case then the bigger thing to worry about would be the transmission frying itself. Low level can cause aeration of the fluid, which can cause slipping but on small drives and usually if it isn't very low you will be ok. How do you know your fluid is low anyway? Did you check it properly?

Well i went to check it while car was running and was back after a half hour drive and it was at the very end of the dip stick in the last section. When the everything is cold the fluid is pretty high up

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor