Right oil for transmisson?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Hey everyone so i have an 86 Monte Carlo with the 4 speed overdrive. My fuid is low and so i need to fill it up :) I went over to the store and picked up Mobil Super ATF D/M. Says on it that its for ford and GM vehicles. Is this the right fluid? Thanks!

grand86prix_05

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
Chillicothe, OH
Yes any dex/merc will be fine, though with newer vehicles you need to be careful. Of course that's irrelevant in this case. Also some times it is stamped on the dip stick.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Ok good to know! Someone was telling me that Dexron2 is what i should put but the back of the bottle just says for vehicles or power steering units with dexron or mercon. Also how would i go about adding this? Never really done transmission oil adding before.

Kwik_Cutty88

Royal Smart Person
Nov 22, 2011
Coastal North Carolina
Lorenzo said:
Ok good to know! Someone was telling me that Dexron2 is what i should put but the back of the bottle just says for vehicles or power steering units with dexron or mercon. Also how would i go about adding this? Never really done transmission oil adding before.

Dextron 2 is most likely what was out a few years ago. I think Dextron 6 is the newest GM fluid out now. I guess if you are gonna do a full transmission fluid change, you minus well drop the pan and do a filter change too.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
Kwik_Cutty88 said:
Lorenzo said:

Dextron 2 is most likely what was out a few years ago. I think Dextron 6 is the newest GM fluid out now. I guess if you are gonna do a full transmission fluid change, you minus well drop the pan and do a filter change too.

Well im not really doing a full fluid flush, just adding fluid. How would i go about doing it?

MadMax

Apprentice
Aug 17, 2011
Stick a funnel in the transmission dipstick tube and pour fluid in the transmission while it is running and in park. Only put small amounts at a time in there and keep checking it until it's at an appropriate level.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
MadMax said:
Stick a funnel in the transmission dipstick tube and pour fluid in the transmission while it is running and in park. Only put small amounts at a time in there and keep checking it until it's at an appropriate level.

Should the engine be warm or cold?

grand86prix_05

Apprentice
Mar 29, 2009
Chillicothe, OH
about 90% of the time to get a proper read you want your transmission hot, which I believe is the case with these trannys, it is rare you find a vehicle that you can check it while it's cold. Going to need to drive it a bit to get it hot, then as said leave it running as you pull the dipstick. It also doesn't hurt to go through the gears for a few seconds to make sure the valve body is filled too. Also to clarify, you want the transmission hot, the engine temp doesn't matter.

Lorenzo

Master Mechanic
Mar 28, 2012
Milton Ontario
grand86prix_05 said:
about 90% of the time to get a proper read you want your transmission hot, which I believe is the case with these trannys, it is rare you find a vehicle that you can check it while it's cold. Going to need to drive it a bit to get it hot, then as said leave it running as you pull the dipstick. It also doesn't hurt to go through the gears for a few seconds to make sure the valve body is filled too. Also to clarify, you want the transmission hot, the engine temp doesn't matter.

Ok sounds good, just went out for a drive so transmission is plenty hot. Just have to clarify that this oil is good? Dont want to put it in then ruin the transmission :shock:

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor