Rim Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

85Supreme403

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2008
Hi im new to the site, had a G body since i was 16, quite a few of them, got a question though, im trying to get a set of 22s for the cutlass, what width/backspacing would i need so that it wouldn't require any cutting or lifting of the car and wouldn't scrub, i want to be able to put my cutlass wheels back on and take it to the strip on friday nights

EDIT: looked up on a tire size calculator the outside diameter of the 245/60/14s that i have now is 25.10 the 255/30/22 i was thinking about is 28.02 so with the right width and backspacing on the wheel it shouldn't be to hard to get them on right

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
any rim wider than 9.5in is going to give you serious problems up front. same with about 11in in the rear. your backspacing should be about 4-5in with a wide rim.
i do have to ask, WHY??????? 22's will handle like sh*t, accelerate like sh*t, brake like sh*t, and generally look like crap because they are just too large.

jerrycad472

Master Mechanic
Nov 11, 2006
Detroit, MI
You may have to go narrower because of the 28" height you want go with, if you don't want to rub. They make a tool for measuring wheel and tire size. Any good tire shop should have something like that and be willing to measure for you. It bolts to your wheel studs and can be adjusted and rotated to look for issues.

Your car looks great. Personally I would not go with more than 18's. Even 20s look to big on a G-Body. It makes the car sit too high. The stock brakes and suspension are not made to handle the extra rotating mass of the large wheels and tires. Just my opinion.

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
22s do not belong on a g body!(smack on the forehead) 20s are the biggest that look good and thats pushing it! i have 2 cars on 20s, i love them but my g bodies will never see anything over 18s

85Supreme403

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2008
If i dont do 22s im gonna do torque thrust Ms w/20s on the back and 17s on the front with the car sitting like this one

but i can do the 22s cheaper and i would kinda like it better, both would look good IMO though, my biggest concern is being able to take the wheels off and being able to race it then put them back on when i get home

BadAssHO.jpg

Silent viewer

Royal Smart Person
May 9, 2007
you can get that stance with 18" torque thrusts with a beefier tire in the rear and still be able to race with them..... 18" torque thrusts would be way cheaper then 22s after rubber. hell 20" rubber cost more then a set of torque thrusts!

85Supreme403

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2008
i priced torque thrust Ms with tires from summit w/20s on the back and 17s on the front and it came to like 1800, then the suspension mods, drop spindles and springs then a alignment it would be a lot more than what i can the others for, maybe 1400 w/ tires, if i could do the Ms for that price and do the suspension cheap i would. But i wouldn't even race w/ 18s i want to run 15x8s w/ drag radials or slicks when i race

Vern

Master Mechanic
Jul 23, 2007
Dayton, OH
If you have that 403 putting out any serious arse you would probably like 17s with some fat drag radials.

85Supreme403

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Mar 4, 2008
right now it basically stock with a good exhaust, it has plans for a set of 350 heads w/ bigger valves, with a port/polish job from hell, decent sized cam, edelbrok intake, and rebuilt Q jet, and a 8.5 w/ 3.42 gears. But until i find a better job where i can put gas in that its gonna stay like it is since i drive the car everyday i bought another car to drive so i could park this one but i ended up selling it because i never drove it lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor