rim question..

Status
Not open for further replies.

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
ok i went through the wheel fitment thread and think i'm more confused now..lol

i'd really like to have the yearone 17" wheels but they are a bit pricey and i'm not sure i want to spend that on wheels at this time..

i was looking at a wheel that is 15X7 with a 4" backspace. will they fit my 86 cutlass? the car is all stock, no mods. looking like either a 215/65/15 or a 236/60-15 tire..

is their any issues fitting the above set up?

thansk in advance for any info you can give me.

Doug Chahoy

Comic Book Super Hero
Nov 21, 2016
They should fit fine. Think about this though, 15s will LIMIT any potential brake upgrades . The extra money now would be better spent. I’d bet you’ll never be pleased if you don’t get the Year Ones. Just like I HAD TO HAVE my Vision Dazzlers and Choo Choo nose (Elco). I saved and 0 interest financed to get what I REALLY wanted.

Reactions: 1 user

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
i was looking at a wheel that is 15X7 with a 4" backspace. will they fit my 86 cutlass? the car is all stock, no mods. looking like either a 215/65/15 or a 236/60-15 tire..

This is EXACTLY the dimensions for the standard 442 or Hurst/Olds factory wheel. The 215/65/15 tire is the same spec as the 442 or Hurst/Olds factory tire. So yes, they'll fit. And a 235/60/15 will be no problem.

As stated by others, save up and get what you want. You're likely going to end up there anyway, so buying 15" wheels is just wasting money and are a temporary fix for the mod bug that's biting you.

• Agree
Reactions: 1 users

Gwarren79

G-Body Guru
Oct 29, 2018
Safford, AZ
These can be cleaned up and when you are done with them sell them for more than you paid. $100 on CL

1579961746436.png

Reactions: 3 users

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
This is EXACTLY the dimensions for the standard 442 or Hurst/Olds factory wheel. The 215/65/15 tire is the same spec as the 442 or Hurst/Olds factory tire. So yes, they'll fit. And a 235/60/15 will be no problem.

As stated by others, save up and get what you want. You're likely going to end up there anyway, so buying 15" wheels is just wasting money and are a temporary fix for the mod bug that's biting you.

oh ok.. i thought the 442 has 3.75 backspace.. i must have read something wrong somewhere... thanks for the information...

as far as the big money wheels go i agree with you to a point but right now i need tires bad and am not buying 14" tires. i lso have a lil red express truck that has to get road worthy this year and my time and money will be focused on that so a cheap set of rims and tires for the cutlass will get me by for a few years is how i'm looking at it and allow me to drive and enjoy it in mostly stock form in the mean time.. then ya never know.. if i can grab some OT at work maybe i can swing the 17" wheels and tires.. trying to keep my options open.

jadigen

Greasemonkey
Jun 6, 2017
S.Jersey
They should fit fine. Think about this though, 15s will LIMIT any potential brake upgrades . The extra money now would be better spent. I’d bet you’ll never be pleased if you don’t get the Year Ones. Just like I HAD TO HAVE my Vision Dazzlers and Choo Choo nose (Elco). I saved and 0 interest financed to get what I REALLY wanted.

this the wheel you have? i'd love to see a pic of your car with them.. they look sweet..

1579965227656.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
oh ok.. i thought the 442 has 3.75 backspace.. i must have read something wrong somewhere... thanks for the information...

as far as the big money wheels go i agree with you to a point but right now i need tires bad and am not buying 14" tires. i lso have a lil red express truck that has to get road worthy this year and my time and money will be focused on that so a cheap set of rims and tires for the cutlass will get me by for a few years is how i'm looking at it and allow me to drive and enjoy it in mostly stock form in the mean time.. then ya never know.. if i can grab some OT at work maybe i can swing the 17" wheels and tires.. trying to keep my options open.
I get it. If you think you need to wait a while then you gotta do what you gotta do. 15" tires don't cost much more than 14" tires, and getting a cheap set of wheels with new tires can get you further down the road today until you can get there...

everyone has their priorities. I wouldn't even discuss 17" wheels at this point. Never know what they'll have available next year or so.

abstracts18

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Feb 8, 2015
Largo Maryland

ok i went through the wheel fitment thread and think i'm more confused now..lol

i'd really like to have the yearone 17" wheels but they are a bit pricey and i'm not sure i want to spend that on wheels at this time..

thansk in advance for any info you can give me.
You shouldn't have an issue. Just try to keep the outer diameter of your front tire under 26 1/2 inches if your car is lowered like my 442 is. Im running a 17x8 in the front with 4.5 inch back spacing. Got a 235 50 17 tire on the front so the outer diameter is 26.3 inches. It only rubs when turning at full lock or at full suspension compression (very hard dips/bumps). I think that 65 series tire will be fine as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor