RKE troubleshooting question

Status
Not open for further replies.

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
I've just tried wrapping up the remote keyless entry install as described here: http://www.montecarloss.com/community/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=975483&page=1
here: http://www.maliburacing.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=121855
and here: https://gbodyforum.com/threads/keyless-entry.51076/

I'm not very good at reading wiring diagrams, but when hooking up the tan wire from the rke module to the tan wire for the door lock the driver side doesn't lock or unlock at all. When leaving the tan wire from the rke module disconnected and the factory wires connected how they were originally both doors lock and unlock on the second press of the fob button.

What am I missing? Thanks!

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
I'm using a module and remote from a 98 Monte Carlo, as used in the threads linked in my op

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
I don't think the module is bad, I can hear it click when I hit the unlock button the first time, continuity in the wire is good, but I'm not getting any power spike out of it. Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't these unlock just the driver side on the first press of the button?

Westbank of NOLA

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Oct 31, 2014
New Orleans
On the Monte Carlo RKE, the tan wire is supposed to be hooked up. Are you trying to get it to when the unlock button is pressed once on FOB that the driver door only unlocks?

From what you said earlier, it seems you have the Tan wire hooked into the unlock relay. If so, I think that's where your problem is. The tan wire is supposed to feed into a connector behind the black plastic that the unlock relay sits on.

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
Pontiac455, just the maliburacing one said he didn't use the tan wire from the rke module, but he acknowledges that you could.

Westbank, yes that's what I'm trying to get it to do, first fob press for driver door, second press for passenger. Initially I may have, but I double checked and made sure I had it tied in with the car's tan wire for the driver's door. I'll snap a picture, I still have it torn apart.

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007

Wire nuts are temporary, grey wire nut is covering the end of the rke module tan wire, blue wire nut is on the wire that runs to the driver door, red butt connector is on the wire that goes to the relay (clipped that to test a couple things). In the configuration as pictured, locking works, and both unlock on the second button press (as mentioned in the maliburacing link)

84H/O

Apprentice
Jul 7, 2007
Well, I got it figured out, there was a burnt out piece on the circuit board in the module. I soldered that back up and it all works now. Thanks for the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor