Rktpwrd’s Skunkworks side project

CopperNick

Comic Book Super Hero
Supporting Member
Feb 20, 2018
Canada
Okay, if we're encouraging excess here, then why not send the whole thing out to be tanked and chromed once it is polished? Or, alternatively, have it powder coated? A good powder coater could even lay the coats of powder in such a way that the finished product is flamed.

Nick

rfpowerdude

G-Body Guru
Jul 15, 2013
Palm Bay, Fla
I think it would be cool to have a hand crank geared rotater on one of the rotating pivots. This thing is gonna be great for The Jug when it gets ready to have the body done!

Reactions: 1 users

Longroof79

Rocket Powered Basset Hound
Oct 14, 2008
Gainesville, Fl
Wow!! Prices of hardware and components add up in hurry, don't they, D?
I like the work on Mike's '57 Chevy. I can see a lot of your workmanship in it, which is a good thing. I had a '56 Chevy 2dr sedan project when I was a kid. Wish I still had it today.

Reactions: 2 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
So after a little issue with the thickness of some of the material (my own fault for trusting to be supplied with what I asked for and not measuring to confirm), and some downtime associated with reordering and waiting for delivery, plus more time cutting and re-drilling the new pieces, I think we’re finally back on track again.

I dropped off all but two of the new proper thickness pieces (I still have to layout and drill them) and the casters with Mike when I was over at his place yesterday, and tonight he sent me this little teaser picture.

AF1C69D6-8198-4CF4-8F8A-713CCA131651.jpeg

It’s not much yet, but he’s started actual work on welding the pieces together. It’s behind schedule obviously, but not really an issue because there was no real hard and fast schedule to begin with. The Juggernaut and I aren’t going to be needing it anytime soon anyways, the front firewall will need to be done with the body on stands and 6x6 timbers first anyhow.

Still, it’s nice to finally see some forward momentum on this project.

• Winner
Reactions: 20 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Just got released another teaser pic, it’s coming along nicely. Guess I better get off my azz and get the last two pieces drilled and delivered to him before he needs them!

33793D99-1632-4DE9-BA82-294D5EB129D8.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: 17 users

Tony1968

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Jul 1, 2018
NW Indiana
Wish I'd have seen this sooner. I have 4 casters i would have sent you for shipping costs. Massive 1500 pound rated. They were new when I took them home from a past industrial job i was working at that closed. They were for large gondola tubs that are used in commercial laundries.

Reactions: 3 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
Mike is continuing to make killer progress on the rotisserie…

FA46CE93-F159-45E9-97B5-B0FAE3711948.jpeg

4E536FE4-07DA-486C-B40C-073F2CE5F470.jpeg

1894DFEE-4507-463C-8F02-D24AABD9B5D8.jpeg

He’s got to redo two of the mounting arms because he forgot to make them mirror image, but with that and a little more welding, he’ll be nearly done. He figures it’ll definitely be ready to go before the end of January.

When he’s done, I’ll slap the casters on it, pick up a couple of long stroke hydraulic jacks, get those mounted, and it’ll be ready for duty!

• Winner
Reactions: 16 users

RAGINGMALIBU

RAGINGMALIBU
Jun 4, 2014
TEXAS
This thing is well-built and looks really good. I hate to be "that guy", but it seems like it would be both cheaper and DEFINATELY faster to buy it!

Reactions: 1 users

Rktpwrd

Builder of Cool Shjt
Supporting Member
Feb 2, 2015
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
This thing is well-built and looks really good. I hate to be "that guy", but it seems like it would be both cheaper and DEFINATELY faster to buy it!

Faster yes, cheaper no. Especially not locally with the cost of inflation post Covid. I’m in no rush at the moment, so time really isn’t a factor for me.

Reactions: 3 users

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor