rochester carb

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ter'M'Up

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jun 18, 2006
hey all...I have a rochester 2 bbl on my 231ci Buick engine, in my 1986 Monte Carlo...lately I have been getting a very high idle, the solenoid was adjusted about a month earlier to lower my idle, but now seems like choke is on almost all the time, even after a good half hour drive?? I can feel it trying to pull away when at stop light/sign.

I am having issues trying to find any info online on repairs, or troubleshooting. When I google it, a thousand and one ads for the Haynes manual come up, no info :cry: , any suggestions, or websites to refer me to would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

pontiacgp

blank
Mar 31, 2006
Kitchener, Ontario
the only solenoid that affects the idle I'm aware of increases the idle when you have the AC on...That solenoid should not be touching the lever on the carb unless the AC is on. Make sure the green wire is contected to the solenoid which retracts the plunger on the selenoid when the car is running and the AC is off. If you ask me though I think the problem is more like a sticking fast idle cam that is associated with the choke. If you look inbetween the carb body and the choke housing you'll see the fast idle cam. Some carb cleaner/lube might cure that. I don't think it's your choke that is stuck though cause you don't mention a rough idle and stalling which would occur with a stuck choke..

good luck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor