Roll Call: Who on site does custom work on the side - 3d printing, engraving, machining, vinyl graphics, etc

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Loving this! I'm using 70's "442" emblems on my project when the time comes (instead of decals). I was looking to have some "HHP" emblems that matched them made, and then plastic chromed. This is making me think.
You going to cut off the studs on the emblems and apply with 3M emblem tape? Probably safer as it won't make holes and invite rust. Just make sure to NOT use the 69-72 deck 442 emblems on the trunk. Those have a slight curve to them and will NOT lay flat. You'll need to either use another set of fender emblems, or find 1973 only 442 trunk emblems as they are flat. Same size, though.

Reactions: 3 users

86LK

Royal Smart Person
Jul 23, 2018
As a 'maker', I think this is a great idea. Could it be its own section in the classifieds with a sticky for the 'maker list' and individual posts for requests? However it's done, I'm happy to help this community.
let's see what the admins/mods think
GP403 ck80

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
You going to cut off the studs on the emblems and apply with 3M emblem tape? Probably safer as it won't make holes and invite rust. Just make sure to NOT use the 69-72 deck 442 emblems on the trunk. Those have a slight curve to them and will NOT lay flat. You'll need to either use another set of fender emblems, or find 1973 only 442 trunk emblems as they are flat. Same size, though.
Yes. Cut off the studs and 3M. I got a set of 1972 "442" Grill Emblems for the front grill and rear deck. They're nice and flat. The grill emblems work perfect for the deck, but are too big for the 87 grill.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 users

Sharky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2015
Sparks, NV
Loving this! I'm using 70's "442" emblems on my project when the time comes (instead of decals). I was looking to have some "HHP" emblems that matched them made, and then plastic chromed. This is making me think.

Love those Door Jamb Vents! They need an Olds Rocket.

Hutch
Howdy Hutch. I am not sure if the 442s have the same door jamb vent opening as the Montes, but if they do, I am sure we can do an Olds Rocket. If it is a different size, I will need an old part to measure for fitment. If you DM me an address, I will send a set over within a couple weeks. Color of housing and logo? (Disclaimer) once we get the fitment right, I post copies of the parts on Ebay, so other Gbody folks can buy em. Vents go for 30-35 bucks typically.

Sharky

Not-quite-so-new-guy
Jul 18, 2015
Sparks, NV
As a 'maker', I think this is a great idea. Could it be its own section in the classifieds with a sticky for the 'maker list' and individual posts for requests? However it's done, I'm happy to help this community.
bringing this thread back up jarred my memory. I know there are parts hard to find or not even re-popped. but I'm not a materials guy, couldn't tell PET from ABS.

I come across parts once in awhile (free/cheap to me) that I wouldn't mind sending to one of these guys if they could replicate it (including any surface patterns) and then have available for others. Parts like seat track feet covers or the original cargo hooks used on the 5th gen El Camino. Instead of someone trying to track down who could do it, could we use this thread or a similar one to post items and see who might be interested?
Replicating the shape of parts is not an issue if you have a good scanner( We have 3). However, most of us CAD nerds end up designing the part from scratch even after a scan, because imported scans into CAD SW always have some surface imperfections etc. Also, those scan files are HUGE on larger parts and a PITA to edit. As far as surface goes, the closest thing I have found to factory is called a Hilbert curve. You need a decent Printer/ Slicer to pull that off. The Bambu does a nice job. My creality does not... Anyway, Im glad to help!

• Useful

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Howdy Hutch. I am not sure if the 442s have the same door jamb vent opening as the Montes, but if they do, I am sure we can do an Olds Rocket. If it is a different size, I will need an old part to measure for fitment. If you DM me an address, I will send a set over within a couple weeks. Color of housing and logo? (Disclaimer) once we get the fitment right, I post copies of the parts on Ebay, so other Gbody folks can buy em. Vents go for 30-35 bucks typically.
Same size. Same part number.

batman-robin.gif

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
Yes. Cut off the studs and 3M. I got a set of 1972 "442" Grill Emblems for the front grill and rear deck. They're nice and flat. The grill emblems work perfect for the deck, but are too big for the 87 grill.

Hutch
You know those are going to be sorta hard to see on the decklid. Unless that's the desired effect. Up front on the bumper it may look pretty good.

For a slightly larger effect, same shape as the 71/72 grille emblems, you can consider 68 fender emblems. They don't look as huge as 69-73. You can re-paint them red or whatever color you like. Or leave them black for an even more subtle look. The 68 trunk emblem is linked together and same size, but has a slight curve to it so that probably wouldn't work as well. Again, this's just a suggestion.

1712571121092.png

1712570810624.png

69hurstolds

Geezer
Supporting Member
Jan 2, 2006
I got some minor skills. I can do hobbyist repro and custom decals that you can't seem to find anywhere else, and Chevy/Olds G-body window stickers for your car.

I can punch cut keys to replace your old worn out ones, make new keys from your locks, even if you lost the keys (would require lock disassembly). Also I can rebuild your door locks and glovebox locks, key them the same if needed, etc. Just ask oldsofb if he's satisfied.

• Winner
Reactions: 4 users

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
For a slightly larger effect, same shape as the 71/72 grille emblems, you can consider 68 fender emblems. They don't look as huge as 69-73. You can re-paint them red or whatever color you like. Or leave them black for an even more subtle look. The 68 trunk emblem is linked together and same size, but has a slight curve to it so that probably wouldn't work as well. Again, this's just a suggestion.
Haha. I've got a set of 68's for the doors. I'll have to wait until the 442 is back together and make a call on the trunk emblem size.

Hutch

Reactions: 1 user

oldsofb

Royal Smart Person
Supporting Member
Dec 7, 2007
Maryland
I got some minor skills. I can do hobbyist repro and custom decals that you can't seem to find anywhere else, and Chevy/Olds G-body window stickers for your car.

I can punch cut keys to replace your old worn out ones, make new keys from your locks, even if you lost the keys (would require lock disassembly). Also I can rebuild your door locks and glovebox locks, key them the same if needed, etc. Just ask @oldsofb if he's satisfied.
He's being modest. I've got a bunch of his decals and a custom window sticker. His work is top notch!

Hutch

• Agree
Reactions: 1 user

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor