Royal Purple motor oil in a 5.3?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
So its just about time for me to change the oil in my truck. I have an '06 Sierra with the 5.3 motor. I normally run Castrol GTX and change the oil every 3,000 miles on the dot. I went out and bout 6 qts of Royal Purple and K&N oil filter, because I thought about upgrading to a synthetic. But I have never used a synthetic oil. I have heard five hundred different opinions about Royal Purple oil on the internet. Some good, and a lot of bad stories. I was reading different truck forum topics... I saw a guy saying that he switched to RP, and then he started leaking oil all over the place. Now I am kinda scared to run it. The truck has 100,000 miles on it, and doesn't leak/burn a drop of oil between changes.

My question is, have any of you guys ever used RP in your Chevy/GMC trucks? How do you guys feel about it? And if i ran the RP for a couple of oil changes, what would happen if I switched back to Castrol GTX? Thanks.

Rocket

Greasemonkey
Oct 18, 2011
Reserve Mines, NS
my father has been running 5W30 RP in his '08 Silverado since he had it, no complaints

RITTER

Royal Smart Person
May 26, 2007
Hillsdale, MI
The reason their oil started to leak after switching to the synthetic is because it has more cleaning detergents and tends to find holes that conventional oil wouldn't find. There is no problem with switching back to conventional oil if you decide you do not like the Royal Purple.

One thing I would do though, is purchase a Royal Purple oil filter to use with it :idea: Nothing wrong with the K&N oil filters. I just figure they match up good :mrgreen:

I run AMSOIL in my wife's 2007 Pontiac G6 V6 with an AMSOIL oil and air filter 8)

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
I really don't see any reason to spend the ridiculous amount of money they charge for RP oil... It's like 16 dollars a quart (at least where I work) I don't see how it could be that much better that it's worth 7 dollars more a quart than Mobil one, or 10 to 11 dollars more than Valvoline or Napa (made by Valvoline) full synthetic. I think you're paying for that fancy purple dye in it. :lol:

oldiejams

Master Mechanic
Jan 21, 2011
Tucson
i work for a small business who has a contract with the us border patrol. we rotate tires, do fills and pmas and the only oil that the border patrol wants in there vehicles is RP.

so yeah, not saying RP is the best because the border patrol exclusively uses it, but they do use it in chevy trucks.

megaladon6

Comic Book Super Hero
May 29, 2006
Danbury, CT
personally, i'd use mobil 1 too.
on chevy's i have had a few people complain about a bit of oil getting past the piston ring seals when running synthetic. but they really didn't lose any more oil than normal.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
Ok well I decided to go ahead and run it since I had already bought the oil. Call me crazy, but I seem to be getting better gas mileage. I used to get 21 mpg according to my truck. I took a trip yesterday and reset the fuel economy meter. It now says I am getting 23 mpg. Cant argue with that. :)

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
kornball426 said:
I really don't see any reason to spend the ridiculous amount of money they charge for RP oil... It's like 16 dollars a quart (at least where I work) I don't see how it could be that much better that it's worth 7 dollars more a quart than Mobil one, or 10 to 11 dollars more than Valvoline or Napa (made by Valvoline) full synthetic. I think you're paying for that fancy purple dye in it. :lol:

Wow those are crack prices. I got 5 quarts of RP & KN filter for $44.99. It was an oil change special at autozone. The extra quart was only $8.99.

mheath717

Master Mechanic
Nov 13, 2008
Florida
RITTER said:
One thing I would do though, is purchase a Royal Purple oil filter to use with it :idea: Nothing wrong with the K&N oil filters. I just figure they match up good :mrgreen:

Well I did some research and Mobil1, K&N, and RP oil filters are all made by Champion Labs. So it seems that they are pretty much the same filters. I compared them, and they all looked the same.

kornball426

Royal Smart Person
May 29, 2009
Philadelphia, PA.
Well if I could get that good of a price on it I'd probably run it but with my employee discount I get Napa full syn oil for less than 4 bucks a quart and oil filter (wix) for about 5 bucks, and air filter for about 10 bucks so it's a waste of money for me to buy Royal Purple, or Amsoil, or Mobil 1. The Napa Gold filters are as good or better than the national brands like Fram or Purolator take a pipe cutter and open them up and compare what they look like inside and what is trapped inside.

I wish I was born about 20 or 30 years earlier at the least... It pains me that those are good prices. :( I have to be about the last generation of American's that know what a muscle car is and can afford to drive one, and I'm too broke too do much work to mine. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor