Running with collapsed lifter: bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
So if any of you remember reading about this last year, my 12 year old son picked up a barn-find 78 Calais with 62,000 miles that had been sitting in storage for the last 20 years. Gonna be our father-son project. Very good condition. So we drained fluids, replaced all the brake parts, put in new tune up parts, etc. The kid really busted his a@$ all summer. Finally fired it up last fall. Runs and drives great. The only thing I can't remedy, is one collapsed lifter in the 260. I even ran a bottle of Marvel Mystery Oil in the oil. Just can't get rid of the " tick tick tick" under the drivers valve cover. This is his project and he's on a budget so a cam/lifter swap isn't on the immediate horizon. Not sure how much longer I dare run it this way though. Any thoughts?

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Look for a dif rep. I looked on O'Reilly website and they have at least 5 listed

Steve Bakken

Apprentice
Feb 20, 2015
Figured it was a lifter cuz it had probly been sitting compressed and dry for twenty years, but I'll check that pivot first

L67ss

Royal Smart Person
Dec 8, 2016
Yeah with their search bar you gotta be vague lol. I typed in "lifte" and it prompted a lifter/tappet suggestion lol

Texas82GP

Just-a-worm
Apr 3, 2015
Spring, Texas
The rocker pedestals are made of somthing resembling pot metal (cast aluminum?) and are really soft so pull the offending rocker and inspect the pedestal or 'bridge' first. Otherwise, pull the intake and do a budget repair for the cost of a lifter, gaskets and fluids.

Status
Not open for further replies.

GBodyForum is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. Amazon, the Amazon logo, AmazonSupply, and the AmazonSupply logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates.

Please support GBodyForum Sponsors

Classic Truck Consoles Dixie Restoration Depot UMI Performance

Contact [email protected] for info on becoming a sponsor